Thread: 8.8 disc conversion

Shaggy

8.8 disc conversion

i wanna get rid of the drums in my 2000 f150... it is the last year they put drums on there... i am thinking i can just find like an '01 or something in the junkyard that has the discs and it will be pretty bolt up but am not sure... has anyone swapped out discs onto an 8.8 this way... does it require aftermarket brackets like all others? will the stock master cylinder be big enough?..... tell me what you know

tate

i think that the master cyl should be fine. but if your going to upgrade to disk anyhow, why dont you just find a 9.75 and put that in. upgrade bothways.

BigRedFord04
    9.75s are obsolete now. they went back to the 8.8 for 2004 or 2005. i'll look in the yards for you Tate, see if i see one. FREE....if you take it off my tab.

obsolete or not, it'll still get the job done. I'll betcha either is not hard to find.

Shaggy
    this is for a 2wd daily driver... i dont need anymore than the 8.8... and if you find what i need it will come off your tab

the master cylinder and/or proportioning valve should be different...

drum brakes need residual pressure on the wheel cylinder to prevent leaking, this is normally around 5 psi if i remember correctly. This would make the calipers in the rear drag. There is another problem also that i can't remember exactly... something to the effect of the rear drums only coming on when the front hit a certain psi. I can't remember what this affected, but i remember something about it.

With that being said, on the blazer, i gutted the proportioning valve of both of these and installed a adjustable one in the cab. Other people do nothing with the disc brake conversion and it works fine too, so who knows.

If i were you I'd just compare the master cylinders in the parts stored and then get the proportioning valve from the truck that you get the axle from.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

ill be your pickup man
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    9.75s are obsolete now. they went back to the 8.8 for 2004 or 2005. i'll look in the yards for you Tate, see if i see one. FREE....if you take it off my tab.
    i dont think this is true.

when I bring home my new 04 F150 5.4 in a couple hours , ill get a pic of its rearend.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

True Hollywood Stry
    i think they still have the 9 .75's to but not 100 percent sure cause if i remember the ford comercial withthe truck frameand rolingchaisis bouncing over the hums the axle looked like a 9.75, but i kinda agree with will you could prolly get a whole axle tate and save on some work on your part. just a thought.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Shaggy
    i think that is what austin is gonna try to find for me

BigRedFord04
    12 hrs later, wheres the pic johnbrown?

every `05 i've seen has an 8.8".