Thread: winch mounting

winch mounting

im kinda second guessing the receiver hitch mount. if i keep it ill have to either build my tire carrier with the tire either way up high or offset to leave room for me to use the winch on the back, or i could just open the carrier to use the winch. is it worth having the ability to winch backwards or should i just solid mount it to the front? i havent bought the plugs, ive just had it wired direct to my battery thus far making it, in effect, a solid mounted winch.

BigRedFord04
    i had a receiver mount winch once upon a time. the damn thing was so friggin' heavy it was almost not worth trying to move it front to back. i basically just liked being able to take it off the truck for security purposes. i'm doing solid mount in the future.

Krebs also had a big, heavy receiver mount one...and i think his was heavier than mine. how'd you like yours doug?

Depends on what kind of winch you have. I have a Warn M12000 and I never even thought of putting it in a multi-mount. The damn thing weighs 130 pounds. I imagine a M9500 or any other 9000 pounder would be significantly lighter but still, with the weight of a mount beefy enough, it would bust your balls. Do a solid mount.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

BigRedFord04
    i'm pretty sure both Warn and Ramsey dont recommend the multi-mount for anything over 9000lbs.

its not that heavy, or could be im just a stud. weights not an issue. ive got locking pin that keeps it from being stolen. its a 8000 lber. they say receiver hitches are only good for 9000 lbs. im just thinking that sometimes you just cant keep going forward. or could be im just concerned about all the jeeps that'll be getting stuck behind me

p.s.-backwards winch mounting guys need not apply

Mud King
    Ive got the HS9500i on multimount and very rarely have moved it about, got a masterlock pin to hold her in there. I couldnt see moving that thing while walking through about two fut of mud or climbing up rocks with in hand, prolly would give me hernia. The only good thing i can see is you could take it off to keep people from messin with it while your parked in school parking lot and a bunch of drunk guys unspool all the winch cable and intertwine it through many ford tauruses and other cars wheels and undercarriage and then having campus security call you at 5 am in the morning telling you that "you trucks wires are all over the parking lot" god only knew what i was going to find. Well back to topic i would really just solid mount it. i wanna solid mount mine up high real close to the grille on custom bumper...

I say solid mount, you can always pull yourself up most any trouble you get into. I have rarely seen people use a rear mount, but then again most everyone I have wheeled with had a solid mount front. Krebs did use his once to pull Tate through some crap in Las Cruces, so it might come in handy if you are a generous person. I say mount it in the front integrated to the bumper, and if you really want a rear winch get another one to mount in the rear after you get all those bonuses and **** from Uncle Sam
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

BigRedFord04
    i think the main reason Krebs always kept his in the back was b.c. it wasnt wired in the front.