Thread: welding u-joint caps

welding u-joint caps

so, you just tack in one or two places or run a bead around it?

BigRedFord04
    just a tack. something you can break easily when its time for new u-joints. weld it all the way around and you might as well plan on replacing a yoke or axleshaft when that joint goes kaput.

i was hoping that was the case, cuz im not gonna run a bead on mine.

stinger7401
    hell ask the pollok, he runs a solid bead then grinds it off smooth, cant even tell theres a cap in there

Mud King
    may be a dumb question but could someone tell what the major benefit is of welding the caps in the yoke?

keeps em from popping out. the ears stretch and the caps are the first thing to go.

It also keeps the caps from spinning, which often leads to them walking out under load.

Just throw a set of these in there and you'll never have to worry about u-joints again
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

I first tacked my caps in in 4 places. By the third trip they had all broken and stretched the yokes. So now I grind a little chamfer in the yoke, and weld it up fully. Then grind that down just enough to fit back in the knuckle. Not only does it keep the caps from popping out, it makes the yokes stronger I think. I've search all over the internet and never found a welded one where the yoke broke, either the joint will break, or the shaft at the neck down.

It's not much work to replace them, just grind the welds out. I think I've doen it 5 times now. Oh and welding kinda liquifies the grease and it like to run out. I got a little needle adapter for my grease gun and I can get it under the seal to lube the bearings.

BigRedFord04
    Quote Originally Posted by TxCruzr
    Just throw a set of these in there and you'll never have to worry about u-joints again

Mud King
    ohhh i see, i will have to look into this before first outing.

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    Oh and welding kinda liquifies the grease and it like to run out. I got a little needle adapter for my grease gun and I can get it under the seal to lube the bearings.

do you just not like greasables or are they that much weaker?