Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: here we go-claytons xj-texas style

fbronco86
    nope he has a narrow 14 bolt 63in wms

shouldnt be remember that the 14b was shorter. if anything it may be bigger????
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9
    1983 Waggy

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by texasxj
    hey yall i need some info on putting a 78 bronco(ford=boooo) 44 in the front. I registered on naxja to look for some tips but waiting for registration to go through. just want to know if yall know any one that has done this kind of swap.
    i am not so sure u are gonna get alot of advice on here about that but most of us in the club have just learned by trial and error.

yeah thats what kevin and i were talking about but figured i would throw it out here anyway
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy

it's easy...all you gotta do is figure out which springs to use, how to mount them to the frame, and the axle to the springs, then figure out how to make the wheels turn. No problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

ok so i will come to you then right??? i have no idea what i am doing on this part so it will be fun!!!
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy

BigRedFord04
    i'd definately suggest a set of Warn chromo shafts and CTMs if you're going full detroit in front. you wont have as many problems breaking shafts or u-joints, especially if you're only running 36"s.

as for mounting the axle, you're probably going to have to use Ford upper coil buckets and somehow mount them to the "frame". i think tate has a pair in storage. given that, i'd suggest some Wild Horses 5.5" early bronco coils and James Duff extended radius arms (or make your own)...either way, if you're using the Ford suspension setup you'll need something longer than factory. you'll also need an adjustable track bar so you can position your mounting bracket....i know Superlift makes one for fullsizes, and probably a different p/n for EB stuff, which is probably closer to the width you need. are you using the XJ steering gearbox? again, with a full locker you'll definately want hydro assist...west texas off-road or PSC are both good companies.

ok sounds good-see what i need to do when i get the axle. ill be running whatever kevin has put in it for a while. yeah kevin suggested sending it to wtor + hydro so prob what ill do. thx
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy

Quote Originally Posted by texasxj
    ok sounds good-see what i need to do when i get the axle. ill be running whatever kevin has put in it for a while. yeah kevin suggested sending it to wtor + hydro so prob what ill do. thx
    Just remember to take all your advice from Kevin with a grain of salt, or you will have a giant turd of a jeep with a starter that scares kids and sounds like death incarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

BigRedFord04
    you should make him type out his recommendations....then you can see thru grammatical ability how serious he should be taken.

well he is helping me a lot w/ the front because i dont know crap about front swaps or ford stuff!!!

hey tate if you ever read this do you have an extra set of the upper coil buckets???
    Last edited by texasxj; 12-01-2004 at 04:12 PM.
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy

Shaggy
    i didnt know crap either and mine came out fine... or atleast it looks pretty sitting in my garage... just remember measure once, cut twice

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    i didnt know crap either and mine came out fine... or atleast it looks pretty sitting in my garage... just remember measure once, cut twice

yeah mine looks good sitting on a trailer!!!! haha
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy

True Hollywood Stry
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    you should make him type out his recommendations....then you can see thru grammatical ability how serious he should be taken.
    Oh Yes and austin knows it all and his truck is perfect to, i mean seriously gramar is the key to building a good rig .
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

BigRedFord04
    "grammar" has two M's young kevin

whats the "frame" width on this XJ? i think the trucks those axles were used in is ~34". since my frame is 37" with the same axle, i'd think anything down to about 30" should work and wont require much modifying to make the coil buckets sit at a functional width. especially if you get coils as flexy as the Wild Horses ones. is the setup i mentioned what you think you might use (radius arms and track bar)? if so, and you wanna make your own, i can get some pics and measurements for the extended radius arms from the EB sitting in our driveway. the guy who owns it said they are the best thing he ever put on it.