Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: here we go-claytons xj-texas style

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler
    Oh Yes and austin knows it all and his truck is perfect to, i mean seriously gramar is the key to building a good rig .
    you can delete my posts all you want but kevin is still short
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

cmon its all in good fun kevin-no need to delete!! im short too thats why i chose a tiny xj-not really!!! UHOH 3 Pages-watch another 40 pager in the making-i hope not!!

ausitn-i dont know the width-but it aint much!!! i will do some measurements this wknd when i get the heep into my new rv storage/shop!! I would like to stay w/ xj coils but i will prob save time and money going furd. i dont have any idea how i would set up the upper buckets but will figure that out when i get that far.
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9
    1983 Waggy

BigRedFord04
    the Ford coil buckets are held on w/ 3 rivets. 3 bolts and some welds down the side would be plenty strong. i dunno how XJ coils mount on top, but i'm suggesting the Ford stuff b.c. i know for a fact that it'd bolt right up to the axle you're using. we made a full width axle fit on Adam's Ranger, but that still might be wider than your XJ. you might just have to spring for some coilovers

that jeep aint worth coilovers YET???? or my experience! and if i moved the buckets out the top would be in my fender???

ill break in my camera big time this wknd and get some pics if i have time!
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy

BigRedFord04
    you're putting full widths on a narrow track vehicle. you'll be lucky if the tire is under the fender.

(heres another great pic of cinder blocks used in conjunction with jackstands )

I'm glad I am not your next door neighbor...
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

yeah truck tranny is working again!!!
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy

Shaggy
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I'm glad I am not your next door neighbor...
    we dont live there anymore... the house was badass but the neighbors called the cops too often(every day)... oh well life goes on

hey tate i dont know if your buckets will work or not? was talking to kevin today and looking at the 44-what year are they-do you know?

guess im going ford in the front what coils would yall suggest-wild horses/EB/Jeffs BGY?
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy

If you research anything about this swap you should be able to confirm this...

The coil buckets, when used in the stock location on a front Ford D44, will be very close to the same width as a TJ or an XJ, or some Grands I supposed. One reason 78-79 Ford D44s are so common to swap into these Jeep models is due to this. There are some people that just swap the entire radius arms suspension onto TJs and essentially have the same suspension I do.

I thought about doing this, but I like my front long arms the way they are so I was going to cut the radius arms down to just use what I needed - the coil buckets. After I looked at everything a little more, though, I decided that it would be a little canadian so I scrapped that idea and plan to just build some coil buckets and control arm mounts on the axle the way I want them.

If you want to use the stock Ford coil buckets, they'll be the correct width, but you'll have to attach them to the axle somehow because under a stock Ford they bolt to the radius arms. If you use the radius arms, you'll have either cut them or use them in your suspension design, and you'll have to mount them to the axle with the correct degree bushings, and you'll have to figure out how tall they make your lower coil mounts and account for that when choosing your lift coils.

Also, if you plan to swap ANY axle under your XJ I hope you have a whole lot of bracing planned for the unibody. And if you plan to go to a Ford radius arm front suspension I hope you plan to fabricate a completely new subframe with provisions built in for the suspension mounts.

yep brett-kevin and i gave everything a good talking and looking today. just need to do some measuring and go from there.
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy

True Hollywood Stry
    yeah as for the degree bushings my axle already has a 7 degree bushing correct, i think he is thinkin of using the radius arm sewt up with extened heim joint arms.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

took a quick study break and found this: what yall think?http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/27.asp

http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/18/207/23210
    Last edited by texasxj; 12-02-2004 at 11:16 PM.
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy

Why not XJ springs? Since you've allready got some, build with those and if the heights not right, then order some of the correct lift.

well i have the stock ones-robert cook is sporting my 3". dont really know if i want to cut buckets off my 30 and put them in the 44-then i would have to rig up a 4 link to the 44 instead of rigging up the radius arms to my "frame"-I dont have any idea until i get the 44.
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy