Thread: Suspension Design question?

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar

Suspension Design question?

How much antisquat should I design my new rear 4-link to have?

I have read "as low as possible", "between 80~100%", "over 100% with a center limiting strap"

I have it currenty designed at about 60% because I hate it hopping on hill climbs. What do ya'll think?
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Been reading up on that stuff, gives me a headache.

the centerstrap idea with lots of antisquat seems halfassed

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03
    Been reading up on that stuff, gives me a headache.
    Tell me about it - there is way too much crap to wade through and no real answer...
    Scott, FTAC '99

yeah, pirate sucks, too many people who read the glossary of an engineering book and think they are now qualified to use big words.

From what I understand,I think the upper links control the squat, depending on if the frame mounts are above or below the center of gravity.

Get on the Land Cruiser section of pirate and ask. Alot of them have recently done 4 links in the rear and took alot of time researching it. Plus you won't get all the useless post like in gen4x4 forum. If you aren't registered, then PM me something and I'll post it up for you.
    From what I've seen though is to shoot for 100%, and have a few extra mounting holes so you can adjust it to dial it in. I think 80% is the magic number.

Joseph
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

the problem with "say 80%" is that when you start climbing your AS values shoot thru the roof (depending on how stable it is). It will go over 100% and the chassis will rise, this it will fall back down and squat - making it hop...

In my eyes it needs to be either low enough that it will never go over 100% or high enough that it will never drop below 100% to stay stable in both climbs and crawling.
    Scott, FTAC '99

Since I have nothing better to do with all my time, I've checked on this stuff and think I understand it. To make the antisquat not change so much, make the upper links about 80% of the length of the lowers. That way, when the axle drops, the seperation of the links, oh **** I forgot, anyway, its supposed to work.

I think the best way is to just make the upper link adjustable at the frame end, according to the calculator that's where it makes the most difference. On my jeep, I've got space to put 3 holes to adjust for somethin like 75%, 95%, and 115%. About 75% is the lowest I can do. I'd think you've got even less stuff in the way so you could put more adjustability. Antisquat's just a guess anyway, nobody really knows where their center of gravity is.

"as much as possible" with a limiting strap sounds half-assed, but when I think about it in MTB terms, it's kind of like having a lockout on your rear shock. Hardtails climb better.
    That's all I have to contribute. Do it good so I can copy you
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

chevsu
    call lee and talk to him about it. he said he didn't care for the antisquat on his rig. he thinks it doesn't help that much.
    Last edited by chevsu; 11-23-2004 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chevsu
    call lee and talk to him about it. he said he didn't care for the antisquat on his rig. he thinks it doesn't help that much.
    we've been emailing back and forth on it. He says not to go below 100% AS and to make sure your uppers slope down so that you can get negative roll steer and a higher roll axis. He also thinks the uppers should be straight - like on the current comp rig - I'm not to sure about that just yet...
    Scott, FTAC '99