Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pinion flanges

Moose

pinion flanges

i'd like to go with 1350 u-joints all around. but a lot of people are telling me that's overkill. jbg is telling me 1330 would be fine, even for a full-size bronco (most of them run eb's) as long as the driveshaft is beefy enough. plus, i'm having a hard time finding anyone that carries a 1350 pinion flange to accept the 9 inch splines. anyone know if 1350 pinion flanges for a ford 9" and D44 are even available and who/where?

I don't know of anyone that would stock the flanges, but if you're looking for regular yokes it would be a normal Spicer part.

Moose
    so, that means the biggest i can go anyway is 1330 (stock 79 bronco, Ford 9"). cause if i go with a f-350 pinion yoke (1350 u-joints?), i'll have issues with the Ford 10.5" pinion splines.

maybe high angle on the flanges

If you have a Ford 9" I'm not sure that you can get any pinion flanges. You can get a pinion yoke up to a 1410 series. The front D44 is the same way.

Just for verification, are you talking about a pinion yoke:

or a pinion flange:

And if you're talking about flanges, why are you insistent on using that over normal yokes?

Moose
    yoke. but i didn't know you could buy them like that (flange). that would be wonderful. why can't you get them for a 9"? as long as the splines will fit, you could drill and tap your own holes?

i thought flange was the same as yoke. woops.
    Last edited by Moose; 11-23-2004 at 04:28 PM.

They're very different, as you can see. I have a flange on my rear t-case output, and some people have them on the front output. I think ricer trucks have them, too. I only have my rear output one because it came from High Angle Driveline and I overpaid.

If you just need 1350 yokes all around you can search ebay. Type in 1350 in the ebay motors search and get an idea on prices, then call around to a couple of places to compare. High Angle Driveline will probably be high, but he might also beat ebay prices. Then call your local driveshaft shop that sells Spicer parts.

I'll see if I can get you some part numbers and prices from my buddy at Car Quest also.

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    I have them on all my outputs and inputs - wait - all Toyota's come that way. We NEVER see broken straps and thrown caps - it's pretty nice...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol
    I have them on all my outputs and inputs - wait - all Toyota's come that way. We NEVER see broken straps and thrown caps - it's pretty nice...
    straps?

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol
    it certainly is
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    straps?
    u-joint straps - u-joint u-bolts - whatever you are using... It's the thing that wraps around the u-joint cap and bolts to the yoke

I carry spares in the Patrol because you American drivers never seem to have spares and they ALWAYS break.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Registered
    Call Randys r&p or someplace that sells r&p they should have 1350 yokes for a 9". You do not want to go with 1330 because you loose a lot of drive shaft angle because of the way they are made.

True Hollywood Stry
    where are you planin on or where are you wheeling it if your not doing hard rock crawling i think that the stock joints will be fine.. when my 78 was all stock(i realize yours isnt) i use to beat the crap out of it jumping it some light rock crawling, trail ridin, and sand and mud and i never broke any of the joints on it. jsut my opinion.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler
    where are you planin on or where are you wheeling it if your not doing hard rock crawling i think that the stock joints will be fine.. when my 78 was all stock(i realize yours isnt) i use to beat the crap out of it jumping it some light rock crawling, trail ridin, and sand and mud and i never broke any of the joints on it. jsut my opinion.
    really!? i plan on beating the hell outa mine. and i figured the 38's would not help matters. anywho, i was planning on changing out all the seals in the axles and tcase and xmission anyway, and the pinion flanges aren't expensive to convert to, and i need longer driveshafts (if not new ones), and i'll be going to new gears and lockers too, so why not beef up all the connections?

i plan on calling randy's this week (thanks troy). am looking at going to 1410's all the way around, but go with spicer u-joints in the driveshafts so those break first.
    Last edited by Moose; 11-29-2004 at 01:18 PM.

True Hollywood Stry
    alright cool but my advice is if you plan on wheelin in the rocks dont put locker in the 44 front or broken **** will occur, what gears you gonna go with 4.88?
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!