Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: too tall radiator

Moose

too tall radiator

i orderred a custom radiator, which turned out to be not so quite custom. it's from the bronco hut. core dimensions, mounting holes, radiator hose inlet/outlet locations, center of fan, etc. all lines up perfectly. only problem is, it's too tall. the hood won't shut. tech said it's a direct replacement for the "super cooling" radiator us bronco guys use. it's a griffin aluminum. several people have installed these things, but no one mentioned a potential problem like this. with the hood laying on top of the radiator cap, the lip of the hood is about 1 inch from shutting tight. anyone got any suggestions? this sucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

why don't you just move the radiator with some custom brackets or cut a hole in your hood, or you could return it to them because their custom radiator is not custom enough
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Get a blazer...
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

what are the dimensions of the new one compared to the old one? Did you check the part #'s to make sure they actually sent you the right thing?

Oh and whoever said "get a blazer".....Eat A Dick
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007
    or cut a hole in your hood
    sadly, that was actually one of the first solution that popped in my head

Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    what are the dimensions of the new one compared to the old one? Did you check the part #'s to make sure they actually sent you the right thing?
    Factory
    Core Height: 19 1/4
    Core Width: 26 3/8

griffin aluminum
    Core Height: 24 1/4
    Core Width: 26 1/4

griffin basically took the dimensions from here: http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/18/90/20604

but the problem wasn't the core. it was that extra thing they use to cap off the core that's was too frikkin high. i called ron, griffin's main tech, and he said he'll take a look at these same pictures.
    Last edited by Moose; 11-29-2004 at 01:41 PM.

True Hollywood Stry
    all you should have to do if you dont want to send it back is jsut drill some new holes i the radiator to match the ones in the support that is at the right height for the hood to close.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler
    all you should have to do if you dont want to send it back is jsut drill some new holes i the radiator to match the ones in the support that is at the right height for the hood to close.
    the problem is, when you drop the whole radiator down like you're talking about is, 1) the radiator won't line up with the fan (no, i won't get electrics). and 2) right now, there's a cross member that is just below where the radiator inlet meets the hose, if i lower the radiator the correct amount, the xmember will be in the way of the low rad hose.
    Last edited by Moose; 11-29-2004 at 01:13 PM.

you're just not slamming the hood hard enough.

yup, furd hoods are self-clearancing
    do you have a fan shroud?
    if not, then it no matta that your fan doesn't line up.
    there's no way to get around that support, ie move it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    silly fords
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    you're just not slamming the hood hard enough.
    haha

nice sig fred
    Last edited by Moose; 11-29-2004 at 08:03 PM.

Moose
    talked to ron;

started to feed me $hit about my engine and maybe the possibility there used to be a I6, but i confirmed my vin and that the 400 was stock (Ford never put a I6 in '78/9 broncos anywho). said some rare model rads came 1.25" taller? before i could cuss him out he told me to send it back, he'll modify it for me for zilch. like i was gonna pay for someone else's screw-up? but i guess i still have to fork out for shipping. good thing she's aluminumumnumunmumunm.
    Last edited by Moose; 11-29-2004 at 08:01 PM.

True Hollywood Stry
    yeah i forgot about that cross member my bad
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Violentv8toy
    duh...bungee cord....cmon guys you're slippin...