Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My Dana 60 Thread

AgDieseler
    This morning, BVD took one look at it and said, "uh...no." So, I dropped the axle off at Hogan's Trucks Unlimited in Bryan this afternoon.

They called to say that they have one side in and torqued, but while doing unthreading the other side they broke their 3/4" impact. It's supposed to be ready tomorrow morning.

BigRedFord04
    the one i did at Vilas, heated and quenched it at least 8 times....beat on it w/ a hammer....slammed on it w/ the 1/2" impact for long periods of time....all to no avail. eventually took just brute force and said 8' breaker bar. 600ft/lbs and 20yrs of being there is no bull**** TIGHT!!

AgDieseler
    Finished filing down the 55 internal splines to make the locking hub fit (it's tedious work), and went to Napa to pick up the following:

* New 'merican made brake calipers
    * New brake pads
    * Got the rotors turned
    * New steering rag joint
    * New 2wd Chevy box

I still have to get the right nut and lockwasher for the new steering box shaft since my old 4wd box doesn't have that to swap over. ORD shipped the crossover steering yesterday, so it should be here Friday. I'm still waiting on spindle studs and nuts to be drop shipped from Dana.

Also, phase 2 of the project no longer exists. I'm just going ahead and building the axle as a whole. That negates an installation this weekend, but it will be nice to have this axle done and turning.

AgDieseler
    The crossover steering came today...juicy. I picked up the axle with two brand new kingpings installed and torqued to 500 ft-lbs. I cleaned the housing with a wire wheel attachment, and shot a quick coat of paint.

One thing I noticed as I was wire-wheeling: the date on the axle from the junkyard was 11-6-01; this has been an ongoing project for some time. Gotta love a student budget.

pics tomorrow

AgDieseler
    Just a few pics. I picked up the special jam nut that holds the pitman arm onto the shaft - Genuine GM nut - $8. Immediate plans are to get everything painted, fab some dust cups (the 6 bolt thingys), and get everything ready to hang on the alxe - press in races, grind the calipers for 15" wheels, etc.

Longer term is to order the Detroit, get some 4.88s from Jimmyhat, and get them installed. It's all gravy after that.

Here's a couple, but there's more: http://www.oliverdiesel.com/images/d60/

Bling!!!

I'd like to look at those arms...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

AgDieseler
    My roommate and I spent the afternoon cleaning a lot of parts. Turns out, they had a lot of rust. The housing got a second coat of semi-gloss black, and other parts got their paint. It really hurt to paint the ORD steering arm since the machining was so pretty. I also took some time and pressed in the races.

I hope to finish work early tomorrow, and get more done. I'll have to wait a week for some money to order the last parts - the detroit, outer kit, 1350 pinion, and seals.

Not much to show. It's just nice to have some parts that are starting to look as pretty as they are beefy.

AgDieseler
    I drove in the last remaining races for the bearing hubs and kingpins. I started fabbing the six bolt dust cup things, but have to wait for the spindle studs and nuts to make sure I make them big enough. I cut some sch 40 to make zerk protectors for the lower kingpin caps. Some more parts got cleaned and painted. Some of the wheel studs were damaged, so if we have the tap and die I can fix them, but I may end up with new stuff anyway.

AgDieseler
    4.88s, and all the bearings from Jimmy. Gracias.

AgDieseler
    More stuff:
    • Got the Spicer 35 spline outers
    • Warn premiums
    • 5-806X cold joints
    • PSC rock ring
    • Spicer spindle studs and nuts

The Detroit should arrive soon, and then it's awn!

rock ring?
    I woulda thought you'd go for the blue torch build-it-yourself cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

AgDieseler
    I actually wanted the Crane mega-pimp cast moly cover, but it's just a little too expensive right now. I have a rock ring on the 14FF, and it has worked well. I got this one on a good deal, so why not?

AgDieseler
    The Detroit, 1350 yoke, and axle seals arrived today.

dayumn!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

I guess storing this thing under your 'burb is as good as place as any until you get something else.
    p.s. I need to talk to you about 6.5L diesels and shoe horning one into a LR.