Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: So it begins...

I plated the frame with 1/4" steel for 2 reasons. One being to allow for the necessary 3/4" outboard and shackle reversal, and the second to better support the eventual winch/bumper mounts.
    Last edited by Cajun; 01-08-2003 at 02:01 PM.

My pile o' parts

aggielr
    i love how guys who work on thier rigs can take a perfectly clean, nice shop/garage and in about 2 hours have it lookin like a small corner of a junk yard, oil all over the place, pieces of parts layin around, even when trying to keep it clean, it just seems to be unavoidable

I got bored, so I shaved the 14 bolt.

The severed pieces, I removed .539"

From the bottom:

From the yoke:

With the cover:

stinger7401
    man thats a sexy rear, by george were can i get a rear that sexy?

nice avatar

No real progress, I got the body back from blasting and updated some pics.

http://www.offroadrepublic.com/galle...umName=album04

Between work, working on the K5, and working on landscaping and a deck for the house progress on the Scout has been slow to say the least. I have been making some headway, and here are a few pics to prove it:

Got tires, 39.5" x 15" TSLs. Got my Hummer wheels powdercoated. Got HDPE beadlock inserts from Stazworks and bolted the whole mess together. A LOT of bolts, A LOT of time. Bling!

Got the body on the frame for mock ups and got the front axle bolted in. I don't have a front bumper or winch on there, but I'm very happy with my approach angle:

The wide (36.5") spring perches on the 60 I bought from James necessitated some changes. I widened the frame to address the spring width, but due to the 7" of backspacing in the Hummer wheels they hit the springs when turned. I opted to swap in dually hubs rather than re-center my wheels. I'll be building spacers for the rear 70 to get the track widths close. I don't have an exact overall width measurement up front, but calculating puts me around 90". I don't think stability will be an issue:

I thought you were using a 14 bolt...? Do you have a SRW D70? My buddy Paul has a DRW D70 that might match up and save you some time fabbing spacers...if you haven't already put a lot of effort into it. He would probably be up for an even swap...

I had a 14 bolt, I sold it along with the '79 60 that I had when I bought James' axles. I do have a SRW 70, but the DRW version is actually narrower than the axle I have, IIRC. The DRW trucks get their width in the rear because the wheels have so little backspacing when they're flipped. Plus my 70 is already has a limited silp and 5.13s.

Thanks though.

PS, are you coming to CS anytime soon? I sold my rubber beadlock/runflats to Blake and was wondering if I got them to CS if you could bring them to Corpus.

Yeah, if you leave them in CS I can get them here no problem.

How wide is your D70? The truck we cut up had a DRW D70 and it's something like 72" wide... Useless to any of us, but Paul has been trying to find someone that has some use for it.