Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: So it begins...

72"? If that's the case it may very well be of use to me. Is it 35 spline? If so, and I can swap my gears and limited slip I may swap your friend.

I'll let you know.

Let me double check the width tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it was 72" wide. Let me talk to him about a swap...

I just measured and it's ~73" wide. I pulled a shaft and it is 35 spline, so all your stuff will swap into it. Let me know if you want to swap...

Then your D70 may end up under my Jeep.

Wow, 6 months since my last update. Despite that, there has been progress during that time and once again I have pics to prove it. Since I'm apparently not cool enought to be in the "projects" forum, I'll continue my thread here.

Picked up a winch and a couple of bumpers, one of which I think I can use parts of...not bad for $200.

You can barely make them out in this pic, but the motor mounts are done as is the crossmember for the t-cases...unlike my own the Scout's belly will be completely flat. Motor is off at Houston Engine & Balancing for some love, should be great fun once it's home. Wheelbase has been stretched 9" to 109". Springs are RS44044s front and 57" F-150 rear.

One more pic of the profile. I'll try and get some pics up of the suspension and whatnot.

i'm digging it, i realy like the marks on the fenders for where to cut

Quote Originally Posted by Jackasic
    i'm digging it, i realy like the marks on the fenders for where to cut
    well as long as you long you approve
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

BigRedFord04
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    well as long as you long you approve
    had much to drink much tonite jerry?

andy, did you ever decide what you're going to do w/ the front hubs using the hummer wheels? How far will the hub stick out past the rim? just curious cause I will be in the same boat when I start on my project...hopefully in the next couple of months when the new shop gets built.
    ps: it looks good! i like the approach angle!
    Last edited by Graystroke; 07-21-2004 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    had much to drink much tonite jerry?
    Maybe, but that thing looks friggin angry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    andy, did you ever decide what you're going to do w/ the front hubs using the hummer wheels? How far will the hub stick out past the rim? just curious cause I will be in the same boat when I start on my project...hopefully in the next couple of months when the new shop gets built.
    ps: it looks good! i like the approach angle!

Yup. I used dually hubs up front, so the hub dosen't protrude past the wheel at all up front. The flanges on the rear stick out probably 3"-4", just guessing. I'm not very concerned with damaging the flanges on the D70 however.

Thanks for the complements guys...I guess that was a complement Jerry . Good eye on my preliminary trim lines Brandini. I'm pretty stoked about the approach angle, though it will be taking a hit when I mount my winch, but I don't think I'll lose more than 5*. Departure angle turned out better than I expected, and will be slightly better than pictured once I do some trimming.

More random info...After I took those pics my brother-in-law and I yanked the dash, steering column, and useless wiring. I wound up using the dually 70 that Brett had in Corpus to match my front track width...a belated "thanks" to Austin and Tate for giving it a home for a while. Rear disk conversion is done, rear is welded w/5.13s, front is Detroit w/5.13s. Rear springs are inboarded. They are very soft and will flex very well; I just hope it's not too unstable. It sits a bit high in the rear, and 700 or so pounds of big block and winch won't help so I'm thinking about pulling the overloads on the rear springs. Any pros/cons to this? I'll be running a "Sam's Offroad-style" anti-wrap bar, so axle wrap shouldn't be an issue.

I guess the next step is adding a liberal dose of the plasma cutter to the bed floor.

BigRedFord04
    i've taken the overload springs off every set of leaves i've ever installed. i dont think it will cause a problem. if anything it will flex more. i just hope the motor doesnt squish the front. did you move the motor mounts back at all?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    i've taken the overload springs off every set of leaves i've ever installed. i dont think it will cause a problem. if anything it will flex more. i just hope the motor doesnt squish the front. did you move the motor mounts back at all?
    When I had the motor, trans, and both cases in the front was only 1.5" lower than it is now. The springs are Grand Waggy lift springs, so they're rated for Jeep V-8s...though I know the Ford motor & winch combo will be heavier. I don't remember how the new motor mounts locate in comparison to the factory ones, but I located the engine as far back as I could without contacting the firewall...and I still think I'm going to have to locate the radiator out back.

Good to know about the rears, I'm still hoping they'll settle once I get some weight in the back.

Maybe it will settle if you take the jackstand out from under it!

BigRedFord04
    yeah....the only real purpose for that overload spring i've ever seen on something that doesnt get 2000lbs put in the back is the extra 3/4" lift it gives b.c. its so damn thick.

usmcagg02
    austin...i love your quote