Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Figure this out

Hybrid View

BigRedFord04

Figure this out

ok....so i got my new CD player in the mail yesterday, got it installed and after about an hour of jammin' in the driveway i was kinda worried about pissin' off the neighbors, so i went drivin' around to play with it. 1st weird thing: had just got outta my neighborhood, cruisin' in 4th and the engine dies....RPMs=0....i punched the gas pedal and it started back up like nothing was wrong. . so, i keep drivin', stop for gas and it starts right up when i'm ready to leave. i get outta the parking lot onto the main road and it just died. i let it coast thru heavy traffic to the turn lane and just sat there. it would crank and crank and crank and crank but no fire. i could hear the fuel pump priming in each of the gas tanks, it just wouldnt start. (this was actually fortunate timing b.c. while i was sitting there in a dead truck i looked over and there were two "hefty" black females having a throw down fist fight in the empty lot on the side of the road...i just sat and watched until one was laying on the ground and the other got in her car and left...it was awesome....sorry, no pics b.c. i left my camera in tate's truck woulda made an awesome video too) anyway...i finally decide to get out and pop the hood, unplug the coil wire and plug it back in. get in the truck and it fires right up. no problems the rest of the trip. i went over to Fredo's later and he was fortunate enough to experience this with me so someone else can verify i'm not imagining things. it started for like 2 seconds and then died...then did the same thing....crank and crank and crank, no start. tried unplugging the coil wire again and plugging it back in but that didnt fix anything. i finally just started flipping the two switches on my dash (battery isolator and elec. fans) jokingly and after one of 'em was on it started right up. WTF??? i'm thinkin maybe clogged fuel filter? crap in the distributor? (i'm gonna check and clean that anyway) coil is broke? (i thought when they died there was no goin' back?) could it have something to do w/ the MSD 6AL goin' out? thats about all the ideas i got to start with. suggestions?

any relays gettin hot?
    icm getting hot? (does your msd replace the icm?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

BigRedFord04
    what relays would i have to check? the ones in the fuse box under the hood?

the MSD is wired inline w/ the ICM. i bought the extra connector for the MSD to make it plug and play. basically the signal the ICM would normally send straight to the coil goes thru the MSD then out to the coil.

there was a bunch of crap under the distributor cap and the rotor had a crapload of carbon buildup on the end. cleaned the rotor and cleaned out the distributor the best i could. doesnt have the short hesitation at startup it had before but i dont think that was the problem. gonna go get a fuel filter and some injector cleaner and try that next....damn i hate doin' the fuel filter on this thing.

oh, after i installed the CD player there was one white wire that i had no idea where it went to. figured out after it got dark last nite that it was the power to the light in my tach. pulled the CD player back out and connected that wire back into the dimmer circuit for the dash gauges and it works now. until last nite driving around not being able to see the tach i never realized how much i rely on it for everyday driving....i dunno how i got along w/o it before.
    Last edited by BigRedFord04; 01-18-2005 at 04:50 PM.

any relays involved with the ignition circuit...
    did you try taking the msd out of the loop when you were having the problem. When it's running does it feel sluggish or intermittently sluggish? Doesn't sound like frool filter to me, or injectors. Sounds like ignition.
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

BigRedFord04
    its been sluggish for a while....intermittently....weird. its like you're reading my truck's mind....are you psychotic? same problem i've had forever...every now and then smash on the gas, RPMs go up but the truck doesnt go anywhere....then it'll kick in and throw you back in the seat...that particular problem almost sounds like clutch but i'm about 98% sure its not clutch.

it's your kanuder bearing. Fix that and get back to me.
    So when it's acting sluggish, you can rev it and it doesn't go anywhere? That's gotta be clutch. Are you remembering to release the clutch pedal?
    fuel filters act weird sometimes, like crap can block it, but when pressure's relieved it flows back and opens up.
    How does it measure air? MAP? MAF?

BigRedFord04
    you'd really have to experience the go no where feeling when its revving to understand.

air measured by MAP sensor, Intake Air Temp sensor (IAT), Idle Air Control Motor (IACM), TPS....all that crap.

what do you mean "it flows back and opens up"?

When 'strokes act like this, most of the time it is the CPS. When you crank, does the tach register RPM when it isn't starting? If not, then your CPS is dead and you puter doesn't know that the engine is turning.

BigRedFord04
    i dunno if it was registering RPMs, see above for reason i couldnt read the tach. when you say CPS...cranshaft or camshaft position sensor? either way, i dont think my truck has one of those. if it did where would it be? timing cover?

doesn't the tach usually go off a dist. pickup?
    speaking of which, those sometimes go bad, but I don't think they're intermittent.
    what I mean by "it flows back and opens up" is that the fuel pump's pushing fuel through the filter, as well as any trash that's in suspension. When it hits the entry to the filter, the trash can build up and cause blockage. When the pump stops, you get a little backflow of fuel out of the filter, which can take some of that blockage away temporarily. What's the idle air control motor do?

edit: I read everything again. I think you just need to change your fuel filter
    Last edited by uglyota; 01-18-2005 at 06:04 PM.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    as for it reving up and going no where...i have been in it...it feels like the clutch but at the same time it doesnt. when it revs up it is not like its a good rev but kind of like its bogging down. also if it were the clutch you would smell something....

as for the ignition...sounds like there might be a problem with a connection on the ignition somewhere and when you unplugged the coil and plugged it back in it jiggled the wire enough to work again. ...also check the module(i believe thats what its called) its located on the side of the distributer...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

BigRedFord04
    here's what i learned in the last half hour:

there is no mention of a CPS (crank or cam) anywhere in my haynes manual for my motor. ICM is not getting hot. MSD is not getting hot. coil is not getting hot (found a spare in my toolbox also). There are no relays in the fuse box under the hood that have anything to do w/ fuel or ignition....none of 'em were getting hot anyway. There is, however, a fuse missing from that box. looked it up and its supposed to be for ABS. tried to put a fuse in and it wobbles around...upon further inspection there's no wiring to that particular slot. There is wiring and a fuse in the dash fuse panel that is marked ABS. wtf? i know theres a light on the dash that says ABS but honestly i dont know that i've ever felt any kind of ABS working....because, you know, its all mostly stock anyway. was just weird they'd put a fuse in one spot and terminate the circuit elsewhere. Power steering fluid was low. engine oil is low (found that i think the front main is leaking). my tach is aftermarket and runs off the MSD box so chadnutz's idea that parts being broke that i dont even have on my truck is 100% null and void.

my dad's putting $$ in my acct to buy a new coil b.c. thats what he thinks it is (didnt realize 'til after he offered i had a spare)...think i'll change the oil, the $5 fuel filter and enjoy a 6er on him while doing it

BigRedFord04
    my body style truck has the ignition control module you speak of steve mounted on the driver's side inner fender near the firewall. they evidently figured out that by having them mounted on the distributor, the heat from the engine was causing them to go bad prematurely.

and i'm glad someone else knows that hesitation feeling. another reason i think its the fuel filter, its like the flow is blocked part of the time and its enough to make RPMs climb but not enough for full power. i'm off to the store. update later.

aggieblazer07
    I had a similar problem that ended up being the MAP sensor in my chevy. it would spit and sputter for a while then I would floor it and it would rev up high and stay in the low gear, then 2 minutes later there would be no problem. Once I replaced the sensor it was fine.

BigRedFord04
    after a trip to a ho'reillys and wal-mart the rest of the evening went as follows: changed the oil. surprising how much oil pressure improves when theres enough oil in the engine. changed the fuel filter.....the god damn piece of **** ****ing ******* fuel filter. i've got a feeling i'm going to smell like gas for a few days and my carhartt will never be the same. the only two things i can think of that were running thru the Ford engineers minds when they designed that fuel filter mount/location/connections are either A: they were worried about the high fuel filter theft that was going on in the mid `90s, or 2: they really didnt give a good gawd dayum about performing scheduled maintenance. what a piece of ****. that seemed like it fixed it for about 5 miles then the hesitation started again. got home, ate dinner then swapped the spare (which i realized to be the factory) coil on, no change. glad i didnt buy a $50 coil. after that didnt fix it i took the portaband to the old fuel filter to see whats inside....it was pretty dirty but no large gobs of mud or anything. i think it was last replaced shortly before i rebuilt the engine ~27K miles ago.

FLEM:, is your code scanner still over at Fredo's? if so, do you mind if i borrow it again? if you've got it at your place, can i come by Friday after a little after 4 to pick it up? i'll have the $$ you loaned me then.

well i guess i'll try the MAP sensor next depending on what the code scanner says. its one of few things on my truck that hasnt been replaced. 154K and still runnin' like a Ford. at least the radio sounds good.