Thread: Crank pulley/Serp belt Help

ill be your pickup man

Crank pulley/Serp belt Help

About how much contact area of the crank pully should touch the belt? As much as possible? The belt currently wraps around the pulley and touches about 2/3 of it, but due to an oversight on my part, (and me not wanting to fix it the right way) i i might need to fix it to where the serp belt only touches about 1/3 of the crank pulley. Make sense? Will it slip?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Just from a common sense stand point I would say at least half since everything is driven from the rotation and grip that the belt has on the crank pulley. I would just look at a bunch differnt vehicles w/ the same amount of engine driven accessories and see how the manufactures did it. Compare number of pulleys/accessories vs. HP vs. loads (size of acc) vs. contact area and take the avg. my 2 cents...

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    Just from a common sense stand point I would say at least half since everything is driven from the rotation and grip that the belt has on the crank pulley. I would just look at a bunch differnt vehicles w/ the same amount of engine driven accessories and see how the manufactures did it. Compare number of pulleys/accessories vs. HP vs. loads (size of acc) vs. contact area and take the avg. my 2 cents...
    I think u should leave this up to an engineer Considering that the crank drives the system I would think that you would need at least 50% to be on the safe side of things. I am willing to bet it will slip.

True Hollywood Stry
    if you are gonna be at the meeting tonight john you can look at the setup on mine and see if that helps.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

ill be your pickup man
    I am going to end up fixing it the right way.

I converted my old v-belt style pulleys/accessories over the the 87+ serpentine setup. Changed out pretty much everything, except the water pump. Since the serp belt turns the water pump counterclockwise, I was SOL. Thus I needed an 87+ pump. But an 87+ pump will not match up to the ports on the 86 timing cover. So, I have since pulled everything back off, including old timing cover and will search for an 87+ timgin cover tomorrow(or just spring for a new one). I will then put it all back together.

92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

BigRedFord04
    theres a 302 timing cover on ebay right now. saw it earlier.

linky
    Last edited by BigRedFord04; 01-27-2005 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    I think u should leave this up to an engineer Considering that the crank drives the system I would think that you would need at least 50% to be on the safe side of things. I am willing to bet it will slip.
    you are an engineer? If the guys at work could see your bronco.... brugly....
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    good form!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Considering that the crank drives the system I would think that you would need at least 50% to be on the safe side of things. I am willing to bet it will slip.
    hmmm... sounds familiar.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graystroke
    Just from a common sense stand point I would say at least half since everything is driven from the rotation and grip that the belt has on the crank pulley.

you must have been one of those kids growing up that always cried to his mom,"No one will play with me!"

We all know you're an engineer and that you work in Silicon Valley known also as Lufkin, Texas.

True Hollywood Stry
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    theres a 302 timing cover on ebay right now. saw it earlier.

linky
    i think he has a 351 austin, and i dont think the covers are interchangeable, but i could be wrong.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    Funny i have a job and u dont

ill be your pickup man
    its a 302...found one
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Damn I guess I will check with my boss on monday and see why the fawk I clock in everyday. I sure wish I had a real job, live in beaumont, houston, virginia, or hell even Lufkin!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Yes mike, and remember decaf and no teeth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!