Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Figure this out

AgDieseler
    Did you get those spindle shims in?

BigRedFord04
    nope....found out there are different degree shims, as well as different degree caster nuts. i was gonna have the alignment checked and find out how much its off then fix it myself, but one of my buddies at 4WPW in Plano said they'd align it for $50 so i'm gonna have them try and do it.

you didnt know what spindle shims were when i put mine in or at least seemed to think they werent needed. are you talking about the same thing? whats a caster nut?

BigRedFord04
    yeah.....well....i learned differently by wearing out tires. "caster nut" talking about the nut that screws into the top ears of the axle....the ball joints go thru them. they make them w/ angled holes for caster/camber correction. wanna get the alignment straight before i buy new tires.

ah, the threaded outside, tapered inside thing i tightened with a hammer and screwdriver? i was wondering that the other day about whether or not they made those with different offset. how much correction can you get out of them? are they all offset or are , say for instance mine, most of them centered so no matter how they are clocked they give them same castor and camber, i.e.- keep the ball joint centered? im getting mine aligned tomorrow and thought the only adjustments i had were toe in/out with the tie rod and different camber plates/spindle shims whatever.

BigRedFord04
    Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    ah, the threaded outside, tapered inside thing i tightened with a hammer and screwdriver? i was wondering that the other day about whether or not they made those with different offset. how much correction can you get out of them? are they all offset or are , say for instance mine, most of them centered so no matter how they are clocked they give them same castor and camber, i.e.- keep the ball joint centered? im getting mine aligned tomorrow and thought the only adjustments i had were toe in/out with the tie rod and different camber plates/spindle shims whatever.
    yeah...that thing. the camber plates are available .25*-1.5* and the nuts are the same. so between the two you can get up to 3*. i'd have to say the norm would be non-offset (centered). i'd always thought the same thing about alignment on a straight axle, with the exception of the spindle shims which i'd never seen before yours, and never really saw the importance of until recently.

well, you saw how i did castor, but no nut would have given me the amount of correction i needed, something like 10*. for camber i just used the factory shims. dont know how much they gave me but i guess ill find out tomorrow. im hoping the nuts i used are centered.

hey penis, have you checked the fuel pump??

I've had similar problems with both the fuel pump and the fuel filter.

Changed fuel filter... fixed problem for a little while... fuel pump was still good.

500 miles later truck was acting like yours and then died. Turns out the fuel pump had been loosing fins which clogged up first fuel filter. Then it lost all fins and ceased to pump fuel!

Just a suggestion before you go crazy with the sensors.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

BigRedFord04
    fuel pumps are in tank. have never touched them. hope to never have to. i can hear the pump priming in both tanks when i turn the key on, and when it did die it didnt make a difference which tank/pump was turned on in whether or not it started, which led me to believe fuel pumps are fine since i'd think its VERY unlikely they both crap at the same time. i think i posted that i cut the old fuel filter open and there wasnt anything unusual inside but it was dirty.

my thoughts for the latest discovery is that if the ICM is messing up, and its not firing when its supposed to, then its not burning all the gas and its getting pushed out the exhaust valves and burning up in the headers/exhaust before the O2 sensor, leading the O2 sensor to believe the truck is running rich. and since i think i can get an ICM for free i'll try that next.

BigRedFord04
    well, i mentioned before that by cutting off my cats i went from ~8.5-9mpg to 10.6-10.7 mpg consistently....since changing the oil, fuel filter and all the other random crap i've mentioned in this thread it jumped again up to 12.7mpg on the last tank hope it wasnt a fluke! i dont remember trying to drive more conservatively so hopefully it was something i did. and since its evidently on a gas mileage kick, maybe i'll clean out the K&N and see if that helps any....prolly been 30,000 miles anyway. this definately made up for the fact that it was still running like total bagged ass on the way home from work tonite.

BigRedFord04
    i ran into Rex at the Chicken Friday nite and got to talkin' to him and evidently he works @ Advance in Bryan now. when i asked he offered to "warranty" my parts if i came by Saturday, so i did, and he did. replaced ICM and O2 sensor then cleared the codes and its running great! FINALLY!! 250 miles thus far w/ no check engine light! whoop! ....and i'm getting ~13mpg to boot!

ill be your pickup man
    f-that, i just got 13 in town in my new 5.4. i really hope it goes up
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

BigRedFord04
    i'm excited b.c. less than two months ago it was 8.5mpg and i run 93 octane.