Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Furd Guys... Star Pattern for my bed bolts

jwingfield2k

Furd Guys... Star Pattern for my bed bolts

I've gotta get into my gas tank this weekend, and I'm just gonna take the bed off instead of dropping the tank. Does anyone have the star pattern tool to get the bed bolts off?

Thanks. wanna try to get this thing done tomorrow.

BeachJeepin
    what size?

ill be your pickup man
    I don't think it is easier that way.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

aggieblazer07
    in the old ford's it is easier to just drop the tank. To take off the bed you have all the bolts, hoses, and possibly wires to disconnect. Plus you have a heavy toolbox

jwingfield2k
    its easier, theres 6 bolts and a few pigtails to undo, rather than drop[ping a 240 lb of fuel. ive read that people said this way is easire,and theyve tried both ways.

BeachJeepin
    if you were going to drop it, of course you would empty the tank. Then drop it down easy with a floorjack..... but its your truck...

ill be your pickup man
    wiring, fuel tank filler neck, bed mount bolts, and I am sure some ground wires. We do alot of truck fuel pumps at work and we never remove the beds, but we do have lifts. Either way it is will be a *****. I say drive it till it is outta fuel and drop the tank.

Good luck though. If you take of the bed, I say enlist afromans bumpermounted boom lift thingy, that would be cool.

Sounds like you have been having tons of problems. I sure as hell know I do not want to be wrenching all the time on my new truck. Don't know if I should be scared now that my Ford will have as many issues as yours, or be glad that I got a damn gas motor....pulls my 6000+lb rig plus trailer just fine.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

I've got the torxz bits past a t60.... i'd go look but i'm kinda drunk... call me tommorow if you need them
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I've seen two guys drop a suburban tank full of petrol with two scissor jacks in a gravel parking lot on the way to New Mexico, stop being a wuss...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    I've seen two guys drop a suburban tank full of petrol with two scissor jacks in a gravel parking lot on the way to New Mexico, stop being a wuss...

yes but one of those guys is no average human... ...i seen him cluge some off-the-wall parts from a napa store in moab so that his jeep would run again
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

usmcagg02
    i've done the whole pull the bed off to get to the gas tank thing. just drive around till its out of fuel, it'll be easier.

PPPsssssstttt, hey John, the "star" bolts are called Torx head just fyi. When I did the body lift on my friend's 04 F150, the bed bolts I think were like 56 or 59. You have a bedliner right? That makes getting the bolts out even more fun. As said before, just drive the ***** till its outta fuel. And, that bed is alot heavier than you think. Me and one little crosscountry dude had to slide the bedback a couple inches on his F150 when we did the body lift and he busted his balls doing it. It was a shortbed too. I would venture to say for a longbed superduty you would need no less than 4 guys and probably 6 for good measure. Just drop the tank, your back will thank you for it later.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Shaggy
    if you pull the bed off you are an idiot... drop the freaking tank... it is the only logical way... that is all
    tate

siphon the fuel, drop the tank, screw up whatever your doing, then put the tank back in. i had to swap a fuel pump on my tahoe and did it by myself. my buddy swapped a fuel pump on his chevy truck by removing the bed. took four people.

Taking the bed off a chevy is suppose to be easier. You don't have to take the bed all the way off. just prop up one side. I think the ford would be the same. If you know what has to be undone and left alone you can probably do it in about two hours. It is easier w/ an overhead lift an some two 2X4's under the lip on the bed. They did it all the time that way at the co-op.