Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheels rubbing on brakes

TRDyota

Wheels rubbing on brakes

Alright, so my trail rims don't clear the brake calipers in the front. They rub slightly. So, I have two options:

1) Grind a little off the rims, or

2) Find some .25" spacers to stick in there.

Anyone have any experience on this?

I would prefer to just stick a spacer in there. Discount Tire guy siad I could probably find something like that on summit. The rims I am running are the plain black steel ones. The back brakes are drums, so clearance there is not an issue.

Thanks

third option, grind brake caliper... lots of people do it.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

BigRedFord04
    i also say grind the caliper. i'm one who did it......grind the rims.....wtf are you thinkin'??

usmcagg02
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    grind the rims.....wtf are you thinkin'??
    i have to agree this sounds like a darwin award waiting to happen

TRDyota
    where in Virginia are you? went through there on my to NY.

True Hollywood Stry
    thats weird that discount recomended the spaces from summit, they told me that they wont work on vehicles with that type of spacer when i was gonna put them on my moms tj. damn yank's dont take pride in there work like the southern canadians
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Modifying rims is illegal if an inspector notices it wont pass inspection (I know you said trail rims but just throwing that out there)
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

usmcagg02
    Quote Originally Posted by TRDyota
    where in Virginia are you? went through there on my to NY.
    quantico, its about 45 min south of dc just off of 95

TRDyota
    Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler
    damn yank's dont take pride in there work like the southern canadians
    Swing and a miss bud...the discount tire was in Houston.

usmcagg02
    i didnt even realize you said trail rim. that makes it seem like an even bigger risk to grind the rims to me. you wanna take a piece of metal that is supposed to help hold air in your tire and try to grind enough that it will fit but not too much so that it wont break while off roading or loose its ability to hold air?

Mud King
    when i went to put my new front rims on they wouldnt fit, caliper would hit the 30 lbs of weights used to balance the wheel, finally had to grind the calipers after i drove it and they ripped all the weights off.

TRDyota
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcagg02
    quantico, its about 45 min south of dc just off of 95
    Oh, well I was on 81 the entire time, so I wasn't all that close to ya.

TRDyota
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcagg02
    i didnt even realize you said trail rim. that makes it seem like an even bigger risk to grind the rims to me. you wanna take a piece of metal that is supposed to help hold air in your tire and try to grind enough that it will fit but not too much so that it wont break while off roading or loose its ability to hold air?
    Not grinding that part of the rim. I would be grinding it on the "windows" or spokes or whatever you want to call em. So if I were to grind the calipers, it would be on the outside of em, not the upper edge.
    Last edited by TRDyota; 01-23-2005 at 11:53 AM.

BigRedFord04
    turns out thats still not a good idea....probably worse since you'd be taking away structural integrity. grind the calipers or get new rims.

TRDyota
    yessir, I'll do it whenever it warms up. If it ever warms up. I just hope that I don't get a flat up front between now and then, or I'll be screwed. Granted, I hope I don't EVER get a flat, but if I must have one, I hope its in the rear.