Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! axle help

bigFAWKINranger

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! axle help

i HAVE a ford 9" for the ranger... complete... tires and all... all i need is u bolts to match the length of my factory lift blocks...

interesting problem though- how is the 9" gonna mess up my computer when i have to disconnect the harness at the top of my diff?
    my supervisor at work says that it goes far beyond the problem of just losing ABS, but that i will have no speedo, no tach, and the failed ABS will possibly mess up the cpu bc it'll be trying to "throttle brake" to keep the truck from going outta control.

i REALLY want to put this 9" in my truck but not at the cost of my entire ****in intrument cluster, not to mention my cpu and possibly driveability.

scott, didn't you put a 9" in lynda's yj? anybody else done this?

if i can do this and only lose ABS then i'm happy... but all that other **** i kinda need.

thanks in advance

If you want to test it just unplug the wiring on the axle you have now, and see what happens. But why would you want to change the honking 8.8 anyway?

bigFAWKINranger
    Originally posted by jmancuso
    If you want to test it just unplug the wiring on the axle you have now, and see what happens. But why would you want to change the honking 8.8 anyway?
    i thought about that, but i am not positive that any damage IF ANY, will be corrected by simply re-connecting the harness. i mean if i do, will i cause anything to **** up that can't be fixed by simply pluggin it back in?

also, i have recently discovered that the rangers don't come with 8.8s as commonly thought... at least the new ones anyway... i have checked mine along with a couple at the dealership... the ID tag on the diff says its a 7.5, yeah, pretty crappy... i assume the older ones are the same.

Lynda has no kind of ABS bs like your truck does, and not nearly the amount of computer controlled crap. Please don't put that axle under your truck. You'll be doing more bad than good...you can get a detroit for your 8.8 and do whatever you want with it. As for any kind of axle swap on your truck, you should probably just go with the YJ Dana 30 since it's the right width and lug pattern, and should take the least amount of prep time to get ready to go under your truck.

BTW...is it a full width 9" or one out of a car or and EB?

bigFAWKINranger
    Originally posted by bburris
    Lynda has no kind of ABS bs like your truck does, and not nearly the amount of computer controlled crap. Please don't put that axle under your truck. You'll be doing more bad than good...you can get a detroit for your 8.8 and do whatever you want with it. As for any kind of axle swap on your truck, you should probably just go with the YJ Dana 30 since it's the right width and lug pattern, and should take the least amount of prep time to get ready to go under your truck.

BTW...is it a full width 9" or one out of a car or and EB?
    damnit brack, read up, i have no 8.8.... its a 7.5 and the 9" is out of an old F-100... narrow width. or at least not full width. i wanna make this work, and if it can't be done i'll sell it... or likely trade it for other cool ****.

well then put an 8.8 in it instead of the 9", they have the plug for the puter crap and are just about as strong, and it wont hurt anything to unplug the crap just to test it. When you replug it everything will fix itself.

crawlingno5
    try anything that will help you to not flood or break your transmission for the upteenth time..

BigLee
    The guy I used to work for installing car sterios and stuff had that thing unpluged from his axel for a long time and never had any problem, but he didnt have any guages, but thats about it.

bigFAWKINranger
    Originally posted by crawlingno5
    try anything that will help you to not flood or break your transmission for the upteenth time..
    haha very funny thaxton you fat funny fat guy. i've told your obese ass before, 2 times. its been 2 times. and at least my trail damage is respectable... bent exhaust tip???? thats what you get for having gay ass tips on your truck. if you ever wheeled i bet you'd break or BEND stuff too. fag.

BTW- i didn't know you were even allowed in the tech forum... in case you were wondering, we're discussing axle options for my truck.

bigFAWKINranger
    Originally posted by jmancuso
    well then put an 8.8 in it instead of the 9", they have the plug for the puter crap and are just about as strong, and it wont hurt anything to unplug the crap just to test it. When you replug it everything will fix itself.
    yeah i was thinkin that too... its just a matter fo finding an exploder 8.8 now. might as well get the discs.

aggielr
    when the sensor went out in the rear diff on my dodge, i didn't have abs or a speedo, but that was it, i just got it replaced under warranty, but the guy said that there is a magnet on the carrier and each time it goes around it triggers the sensor which is what controls speedo and abs, so unpluggin it shouldn't screw anything up that won't be fixed by replugging

Originally posted by bigFAWKINranger
    damnit brack, read up
    hahaha...if you look at the times of those two posts, we posted a minute apart from each other...must have been typing at the same time

BigRedFord04
    U-Bolts - $38 @ Champion Spring in Ft. Worth. pretty badass shop and you get to watch the guy make your sheit. the number is in my wallet in the other room, i'll get it to you if you're interested.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Originally posted by aggielr
    when the sensor went out in the rear diff on my dodge, i didn't have abs or a speedo, but that was it, i just got it replaced under warranty, but the guy said that there is a magnet on the carrier and each time it goes around it triggers the sensor which is what controls speedo and abs, so unpluggin it shouldn't screw anything up that won't be fixed by replugging
    im pretty sure that there is a tone ring on the carrier. he could adapt it to a 9" or what ever, hoever since 9"s never came with the tone rings, he would have to get a special tone ring made, have the ring gear machined to accept the ring, and modify the housing in some way so that a sensor could be placed in it....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

bigFAWKINranger
    Originally posted by StevenAg03

im pretty sure that there is a tone ring on the carrier. he could adapt it to a 9" or what ever, hoever since 9"s never came with the tone rings, he would have to get a special tone ring made, have the ring gear machined to accept the ring, and modify the housing in some way so that a sensor could be placed in it....
    i'd rather just trade someone for an exploder 8.8.... know of any?