Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wingfield's K5

jwingfield2k

Wingfield's K5

Ok, so I'm going to try to put on two new spring hangers this weekend on my rear axle. Does anyone happen to know the exact size I should get? I'm putting the front hanger for a rear axle, and using that as my rear hanger as well. Grade 8, right?

Stuff I would like to get done soon:

1) Hang new spring hangers
    2) Mount Hood somehow
    3) Cage for engine (to mount hood on)
    4) Rebuild d60 and gm14
    5) 36" IROKS
    6) Reinforce frame with 2 -3 additional crossmembers.
    7) Rip out all carpet, fix holes in the floor, then line.
    8) New Seats
    9) fix leaky power steering hose, the pressurized one

I think this would be a fair amount of work to get done this semester.
    Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by jwingfield2k; 02-04-2005 at 04:07 PM.

True Hollywood Stry
    why 36's your gonna drag those huge axles all over the damn place, mainly that boat of a rear, just my opinion, i would go with 38's or so if i were you especially since you dont haveahardly any body panels left to mess with
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

The engine cage, crossmembers and floor repair are going to require a welder. I wouldnt bother with the crossmembers, you are running a stock engine and I garuntee you dont need any extra bracing except around the steering box. For the rear spring hangers use no less then 7/16" grade 8 bolts, preferably 1/2". I think you will find rebuilding the axles a costly endeavour. Especially if you go balls to the wall with lockers, gears and disk brakes on the rear. I have $600 into my 14 bolt and $2000 into my D60 and they have the works (I got my 14 bolt, locker and gears for free...CUCV axle).
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

jwingfield2k
    Hey robert, my axles are lincoln locked and I dont really plan on getting anything besides that. And they've got 5.13's in the right now. But I do plan on doing disk brakes on the rear though.

are you putting in 63" chevys? If so, I think they take a 9/16" bolt and 1/4" wall 3 1/2" square tubing. I can sell you my hangers that are already made up if you want
    yeah if you've got 5.13s I would think you'd have no problem and want to run bigger than 36s. What's on it now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

AgDieseler
    I propose a name change to the blazer.

We shall call it The Wingnut.

stinger7401
    seconded

Quote Originally Posted by AgDieseler
    I propose a name change to the blazer.

We shall call it The Wingnut.
    I third that notion. From what I've seen, around here its called Poll-locked, and 5.13s...Pimmmp. I think disk brakes will set you back about $296.57. You could definately do it cheaper though. Look for used parts to either turn in as cores or actually use if they are good enough.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    I third that notion. From what I've seen, around here its called Poll-locked,
    I think you mean Motion, and its Pol-locked liked Polish not like Poll as in "We all took a POLL and you are gay"
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

start by hacking all that mess off the front. Builds like Jerry posted in the Toyota f/s thread do NOT start by haphazardly welding on square tubing
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

True Hollywood Stry
    i got my 38x12.5 tsl 's for like 800 shipped(with free shipping) to me from 4wheel parts
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

jwingfield2k
    The Wingnut it is. Cool thing is: that I can take all this and use it as a business tax deduction for my company sponsored wheeling team "Wingfield Racing" (gey) haha.

Ok on a serious note, Wingnut is it's name. So what size are these bolts? 9/16" or 7/16". I guess I'll just go and grab one off if theyre not locked on there and check it out. Just Home Depot for some grade 8 bolts?

Eric, I've already got the hangers and I got them for free from robert when I bought a hood from him. I really need some steel tube though.

I am hacking off that "dagger thing" in the front, the guy was attemping to make that into a tow bar but never got around to it. Got a better idea on a way to hold up the radiator or leave it like it is?

Can i borrow two big jackstands for saturday from someone to get these hangers under there.

TSCO for grade 8 bolts by the pound. Don't forget locknuts.
    you missed the point on the radiator...draw a lot of pictures and make a plan, then start building. Don't start with "okay, I gotta hold the radiator up...I'll weld on something for that" then "now I need something to hold the hood up, dang, wish I would have thought of that when I made the radiator support"
    get it?

Yes put about 38s or so on it. I think the 38x12.5 TSLs may even be cheaper than 36" IROKs.

hey john yes you can go iroks-change of plans cuz im going mud grapplers prob! iroks are cheaper than swampers and def go bigger than 36. like some else said our 14s are heavy mofos and that diff is HUGE! any way good luck!
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9
    1983 Waggy