Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wingfield's K5

jwingfield2k
    great point eric. i do need to draw stuff out. ill definately hack all that crap off the front, but leave the radiator support pos on until i figure how how to rest of this will go down.

anyone have any ideas on how to mount the hood seeing how i dont have any fenders?

do you wanna do it right, or just do it?

i think it'll look soopid without fenders of some sort. should be able to pick some up at a j yard for cheap and cut em out and pinch the front. cut the half fenders off the back and tube it in. then it would look nice.

Narrow the front of the hood, mount the radiator low, and put the front of the hood as low as possible. But it doesn't look like the radiator that's on it fits in between the frame rails, maybe you can mount it at an angle. Or find a radiator that fits between the frame rails, drop it down to about even with the bottom of the frame, and put an electric fan or two on it.

You gonna convert it to good steering?

jwingfield2k
    Yah, I wanna do hi steer atleast. Dont know about a hydro assist or full hydro steer though. I'm not really mechanically inclined.

True Hollywood Stry
    john i got a buddy that trying to sell a set of 39.5 tsl on 16.5 inch wheels that i think will sell fairly cheap prolly half tread or better
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

dont worry about hydro until you see if you need it. do highsteer, or at least cross-over, and call it good. your already putting more than you need on your plate. i have a corvette radiator ill sell. it might be narrower. ill second, or third, the bigger tires. you've got the axles for it and that 14b will be a boat anchor unless you get it off the ground.

i'm not sure if i agree with the "mondo" tires from the start. I almost think it's better to learn small and then get big... but then again you'd have to buy two sets of tires.

I don't know alot of the "new" people giving advice, but how many of ya'll have ever wheeled? I have a 14 bolt in my blazer, it's never even been shaved and I think for the 1st year or 2 it didn't even matter. I didn't have the balls to wheel hard enough for it too matter. Mostly because it was my daily driver, but also because I didn't have the experience. There is a difference between reading what sucks on pirate, regurgatating it on here, and actually wheeling. I think there are people in this club are afraid there rig isn't going to perform and so they don't wheel at all. Maybe I'm wrong or just on crack tonight
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I have a 14 bolt and 36" TSLs. Shaved the 14 bolt when I rebuilt it just because it was out and have never hung it up on anything. Disclaimer: I've never done rocks...
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

well, since us "new" guys (who's regurgitating pirate stuff here?) are defending our 14b experience, our 77 chevy ranch truck has a 14b. ive wheeled it since i could drive it and i know the first thing to hit the ground besides tires is the rear pumpkin. the one thing that got all the 1 ton trucks on the king ranch stuck was, you guessed it, the rear pumpkin dragging. besides, anybody can simply look at one and tell you they're big. wingnut's got everything going for it to have big tires, i.e.-no fenders and big axles, so why not? yeah, you can wheel with smaller tires and it obviously worked for you, but why bother if you dont need to?

jwingfield2k
    Umm, how much do you want for the radiator john?
    anyone have tates number? i tried grinding off the rear axles rear spring hangers today but no such luck with my grinder. i need to see if tate can torch these things off for me so i can get these new hnagers under there. i went ahead and undid the axles from the springs, so its sitting on coops jackstands right now.

robert, i will shave the 14b down too, but thats not a high priority right now. Doug, i will agree with you, i do want to start small, but at the same time i dont want to buy stuff twice. if the blazer wasnt such a pos right now, i should wheel it as it is. but i think its best to go ahead and go ball-to-the-wall on it and just start doing it right.

\torch anyone?

usmcagg02
    tate's number is in his signature

If you wanna avoid going through a lot of the trials and tribulations of wheeling a fullsize, listen to Doug
    He really does know what he's talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

jwingfield2k
    I wouldnt know anything about the rear pumpkin getting stuck on stuff...

did i quote you? you obviously took offensive to my post. Basically all i'm saying is if he does everything everyone is suggesting he'll never wheel it. He doesn't have the mechnical know how. He needs to wheel it, even like it is, other than the radiator hanging off and have fun with it. Through wheeling it he'll learn how to work on it.

The only way he would be braking 10 bolt shafts with it now is if he's trying to follow people he shouldn't. Most likely if he does that he'll start using the throttle more. Granted spotters can do alot and should push a new person, especially if it's not there DD.

If I were him, I'd secure the radiator better and wheel it. Then after a coupld of months or a year I'd figure out what I want to do with it. In that time he'd be learning alot and wheeling it. I should probably take my own advice...

Anyways I didn't mean to insult anyone, just trying to get more people to wheel, instead of what everyone thinks. As sir Robert Fleming says, "Thats not how I'd do it".

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    well, since us "new" guys (who's regurgitating pirate stuff here?) are defending our 14b experience, our 77 chevy ranch truck has a 14b. ive wheeled it since i could drive it and i know the first thing to hit the ground besides tires is the rear pumpkin. the one thing that got all the 1 ton trucks on the king ranch stuck was, you guessed it, the rear pumpkin dragging. besides, anybody can simply look at one and tell you they're big. wingnut's got everything going for it to have big tires, i.e.-no fenders and big axles, so why not? yeah, you can wheel with smaller tires and it obviously worked for you, but why bother if you dont need to?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    There is a difference between reading what sucks on pirate, regurgatating it on here,
    says the king of regurgitating all things pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!