Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: unimog axles

usmcagg02

unimog axles

can y'all give me some info about them? how strong are they? width, etc?

BigRedFord04
    i know a guy that has a couple pair

Hey, I know that guy! Wait...

Mine have been converted to disk and are 74" WMS--WMS IIRC. Strength wise I'd say they fall somewhere between a Dana 60 and a Rockwell 2.5 ton. 7.56:1 final ratio (3.54:1 R&P and 2.13:1 portal reduction), and @6" ground clearance sitting on the rotors. For more info tryhttp://www.exaxt.ca/axle.asp. Pretty good FAQ page, but remember he sells 'Mog axles so it isn't exactly objective.

The biggest problem people run into with fitting these is the pinion length, which you'll read about on the above link.

Nathan the gears will be way too low for your DD

Andy are you putting a set under one of your trucks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota

Andy are you putting a set under one of your trucks?
    Someday, many many moons from now they'll probably find their way under a CJ-7 I have in a corner.

EDIT: My axles:
    Last edited by Cajun; 02-06-2005 at 11:14 AM.

ugh...those are beautiful.
    are they 404s? is that a torque-tube conversion or is that what they came with?
    why'd you buy two steering axles?
    edit-read your link and got most of the answers...a mog-9 gives you a lot shorter pinion, right? Is it that much more expensive?
    so why'd you buy two steering axles?
    Last edited by uglyota; 02-06-2005 at 11:52 AM.
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

usmcagg02
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    3.54:1 R&P and 2.13:1 portal reduction
    wtf is portal reduction?

why's that?

edit: are there any solutions for that pinion length?

mog axles have gears at the ring and pinion (normal) as well as a set of gears (the other reduction) that move the drive forces from the centerline of the diff to the centerline of the hub (at the portals). I think andy's 7.56 is a pretty common final axle ratio for mog axles (maybe the highest final ratio you can get for them?). The lowest gears that are even available for most domestic axles are what, 5.71? You're gonna be running some serious rpms at 70mph unless you're running really huge tires.
    Look up mog-9 for pinion length solutions

here's a sketch to kind of give you an idea on what's going on inside a mog axle. I have to thank Wolverton for the copy of Etch-a-sketch version 14.0 that was used to create this beautiful and descriptive diagram.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Graystroke; 02-06-2005 at 02:33 PM.

usmcagg02
    didnt even notice that in the pic. what kinda size tires would you have to run to get that into normal ranges? ~44? what kinda price range are they?

With 48s and overdrive you'd run about 2900 rpm at 70mph.

If you have a pair of these axles laying around I can dispose of them for you.

ugh...those are beautiful.
    are they 404s? is that a torque-tube conversion or is that what they came with?
    why'd you buy two steering axles?
    edit-read your link and got most of the answers...a mog-9 gives you a lot shorter pinion, right? Is it that much more expensive?
    so why'd you buy two steering axles?
    Yup, the torque tubes have been eliminated in favor of a standard pinion flange. Why do you think I bought two steering axles?

Since the Mog9 uses a Ford 9 center section, the pinion length is standard Ford issue, much easier to swing under shorter wheelbase vehicles than that Benzo monstrosity. It also allows you a MUCH greater selection of gears and lockers, though factory Mog selectable locker is pretty sweet.

EDIT: The only solutions for pinion length are to use a different center section, such as a Ford 9 (the Mog9 that Eric mentioned). I *think* the final drive ration on all 404s were the same, but there were a couple of different R&P/portal combinations to get there. Some of the other Mog axles such as the 416 or U1300 have lower gears. For the ultimate sweetness, the U1300 is where it's at, think rockwell strength in a portal axle. However, the monster brakes necessitate 20" wheels.
    Last edited by Cajun; 02-07-2005 at 10:15 AM.

usmcagg02
    what do those run price wise?

My keyboard is sticky.

what if you got a mog9 axle and then got a custom gear set from a bonneville speed shop. like some low ratio of 2.5:1?