Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Huntin' Jeep

I see you're using my school of thought on building Jeeps.

"Meh, I'll get around to it."
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

Flem, what Bulltear oil pump were you refering to specifically? The only ones I am able to find are this basic kit;

http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=109

and this espensive kit;

http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=136
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Since I finally live a reasonable distance from my shop I started working on this thing again. I?m going ground up, which means axles and suspension come first. I am running stock springs with a spring-over and intend to run 33x10.50 BFGs on the original alloy wheels. My original springs were hosed so I have Robbie?s originals which are in better shape but I?m still not sure I want to use them. I might buy brand new ones for each corner at this point. Rear axle will have a lunchbox locker. I might put one in the front too. I have an EZ-locker sitting on a shelf but I don?t remember which axle it?s for. I will be using the original upper shock mounts front and rear and will weld simple tabs onto the tubes for lower mounts. Here?s the current state of affairs;

The frame has some cracks on both ends of the front crossmember. There are three readily apparent around the powersteering box seen here

And a couple more on the opposite frame rail seen here

These will be ground out and welded. Are there any frame braces for this vintage besides the type that clamps to the lower part of the p/s box and bolts to the opposite frame rail?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

My rearmost crossmember was FUBAR so off it came. I am on the fence about buying a replacement or just fabricating one from scratch. There was a triangular brace from the frame to the crossmember on the driver’s side but not the passenger side. Should there be one on both sides?

Sweet mag slots brah
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

lowballing someone
    upgraded box mount
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    fabricate rear crossmember / bumper all in one like I did. Just weld it on and never look back.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    somthing like this
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

j.c. whitney has a good selection of stock replacement leaf springs.

was the triangle bracket bolt or weld on? 76 and newer (which have a very different frame) have bolt on gussets between the frame and rear crossmember.

I'd buy the replacement crossmember rather than stick boxed tube on the back That CJ5 has some potential to be nice / factoryish even with the spring over.

I'm sure you can make this. . . . http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=RBB1008
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Slot mags tommy. and they are sweet, not bro.

Looks like a cool project Sharpe.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Eff JC Whitney. Turns out you know someone that controls pricing on things like OEM replacement springs and crossmembers. If you're going to be in DFW any time soon let me know and I'll set whatever you need aside. Or you can drop by and do some picking.

The brace was bolted on and looks factory. I'll probably fabricate the crossmember and add a couple of receiver tubes at the ends for a bumper feeder.

So after almost 10 years I've started putting it back together! I decided to fabricate my floor pans and a few other misc body panels from sheet metal because they're flatish. I'm in the middle of the driver's side floor and it's a little more work than anticipated. I had to bend a flange on one edge to spot weld to the rocker and roll a bit of a lip into the front to match the remaining factory floor. The fit isn't ideal but for my first try, it'll do.

Who needs a rotisserie??

Drivers floor

What I have to look forward to on the passenger side

Updates:

Pretty much done with the passenger floor pan sans the bracing. The area where I had to fill in extra sheet metal from cutting the original panel too short warped a bit during welding due to me going too fast burning it in. I'm going to try to shrink it once I get my torch regulator fixed. So I moved on to the driver's rear corner for now. It isn't too rusty (with the exception of the outer body mount) but is super wrinkled beyond repair. Since this still has the general shape of the tub corner's wide radius bend I cut the replacement panel first and then used the existing body as a die for the bend radius. I wish the torch was working so I could stress-relieve the bend in the new panel but this will have to do for now. I just used my forearms to push down on the full length of the overhanging material, and it worked perfectly. My current hang up is the tailgate situation. My tub doesn't have one and I want to add it. I'd ideally like to find a donor vehicle to steal all this **** from but haven't come up with anything yet and it's crunch time. I'm leaning toward booty-fabbing the tub portion of the TG frame and just fabricating a tailgate from scratch since I'm not all that concerned with originality. I can't find any close up pics of the TG frame online so I'm going to have to look at my '50 M38A1 Willy's next time I head south and just wing it from there.