Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Huntin' Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    from newly acquired experience, if your gonna dd the jeep, dont weld it. i dont like it. in retrospect, ida left it open till i can afford a locker.
    I'm the exact opposite. I've DD mine with a welded rear for over 3 years. I'd never do it any other way. When you get to that step find someone with a locker in the rear and drive it. See if you like it or not. The welded rear acts pretty much like a open rear end unless your doing tight turns, in which the tires chirp, or if your gunning it while turning on a wet road.
    Last edited by TxCruzr; 03-02-2006 at 06:03 PM.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

I've found that tire pressure makes a big difference. Mine likes 20 in the front and 25 in back. If its just a little off, it's noticable. Once they all were low and it no like to turn, back tires grip too much and fronts flex too much.

BigRedFord04
    pull the tub off, box the frame, stretch the wheelbase, springover, dont you have a 60 layin' around? 14-bolts are cheap.

it turns fine, i just dont like the chirping. i had to go to the po-po station today to pay a ticket and when i turned all the five-ohs outside were eyeballing me even though i was creeping around the corners. i just gave em the bird and lit em up and got out of there (ok, not really but that's how it went in my imagination). it just makes it sound like you're getting on it going around corners where traction is good. mostly around town though where turns are tight. sometimes it just slides but mostly it chirps. i like the idea about driving a locker, ill have to do that.

I have a detroits front and rear in my burban so I know how they handle. I'll decide on the diff's when the time comes. I dont want to get too deep into this dollar-wise so the burban D60 is staying in place. I figure I'll stick with stock axles and maybe re-gear later. I'm only gonna run 33's so the 30/44 combo should hold up right?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

savvyaggie
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    I have a detroits front and rear in my burban so I know how they handle. I'll decide on the diff's when the time comes. I dont want to get too deep into this dollar-wise so the burban D60 is staying in place. I figure I'll stick with stock axles and maybe re-gear later. I'm only gonna run 33's so the 30/44 combo should hold up right?

unless you decide to sell it to me

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    i had to go to the po-po station today to pay a ticket and when i turned all the five-ohs outside were eyeballing me even though i was creeping around the corners
    I know how that is. I went to quiznos the other day and the donut pushers in the parking lot just looked. One drove over and looked like he was waiting for me to come out. I haven't seen anything saying a spool isen't DOT approved so I would be more than happy to hand him a wrench to check whats in the rear end.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Yea those axles will be strong enough for 33s.

Besides, if I was to restore a jeep to newness it would be this one. 1950 M2A1 army communications Jeep. Flathead 4-banger spells nothing but power!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

the torque steer is what i enjoy about my detroit.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

chevsu
    i've been pulled over for my tires chirping and the cop told me i was doing a burn out in the exxon parking lot. i was driving the toy with a four banger and stock gears with 33s. i didn't know it could do that, but he said i was. then he claimed that it was not DOT approved

Violentv8toy
    Quote Originally Posted by chevsu
    i've been pulled over for my tires chirping and the cop told me i was doing a burn out in the exxon parking lot. i was driving the toy with a four banger and stock gears with 33s. i didn't know it could do that, but he said i was. then he claimed that it was not DOT approved
    its possible.

The problem i don't like about my welded rear is that it makes my truck dive. If i take a right turn, it will lean/dive/roll right. Likewise on a left turn. Maybe its just cause of the waggys and the height.

what condition is that drivetrain in?

Ok parts gathering phase has begun. I aquired a D30/AMC20 combo with disks in the front. Should I use the 20 or D44 rear? What locker should I run? I'll probably go with some kind of lunchbox locker because of price. Welding it is out of the question.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Ok parts gathering phase has begun. I aquired a D30/AMC20 combo with disks in the front. Should I use the 20 or D44 rear? What locker should I run? I'll probably go with some kind of lunchbox locker because of price. Welding it is out of the question.
    Sweet, I stole the name of the thread for my screenname. Good find on the disks, as for the rear axle you would have to put a bit of money into the 20 to make it decent (1 piece shafts). The 44 is by no means superb either but I think it cost less money to make trailready. Powertrax makes some pretty cheap no slip blah blah blah lockers.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    use the 20...get some one-piece axles and weld it up...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."