Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Huntin' Jeep

i'm getting my oil pump from bulltear, and intake from indy.

stock pistons, clevite 77 bearings, stock or harland sharp rockers, not sure yet. probably a comp k kit for the lifters

i have a set of rhodes lifters in my 258 and i love em, www.rhodeslifters.com

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    how do you love a set of lifters? Do they do their job quietly and keep pressure? If yes, then good...if no, then bad. I personally love the $1.02/pc lifters we got for a SBC one time...those were some sexy *****es...all shiny and smooth. WTF?

Stick with Comp Cams on all of your valvetrain components. They are the best in the business....even though I did get drunk and talk to Harland Sharp's daughter one time.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    how do you love a set of lifters? Do they do their job quietly and keep pressure? If yes, then good...if no, then bad. I personally love the $1.02/pc lifters we got for a SBC one time...those were some sexy *****es...all shiny and smooth. WTF?

Stick with Comp Cams on all of your valvetrain components. They are the best in the business....even though I did get drunk and talk to Harland Sharp's daughter one time.
    I say that b!tch was yanking our drunken chains, but who knows...

I was thinking the same thing about "loving my lifters" Man, they sure do ride on that cam good and don't make any noise!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Go to bulltear.com and do your engine building research. These things aren't very like your standard small block chevy. And if you're gonna put all the time and work into rebuilding it, find $50 and trade it for an old 360, you'll get alot more power out of it.

You'll want the stock distributor to go with the TBI. And I don't think I'd use the knock sensor if I did it again.

What i ment was that they keep good vaccum on a cam and are pretty quiet and i havent had a problem with bleed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless
    What i ment was that they keep good vaccum on a cam and are pretty quiet and i havent had a problem with bleed down.

all common problems on the vunerable 258. way to work those out! you should post that on cowtownjeeps.com

maybe I should see if they make these magical lifters for IH v8's.....maybe they will solve my oil pressure and lifter bleed down problems.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

Ok I didnt get Fred's Harland Sharp joke until I was browsing through summit tonight and noticed they are the only company in there that makes roller rockers for a AMC. I am going to make this post the motor listing and update it as I decide on parts and whatnot. Here we go;

Edelbrock cam & lifters- Summit PN edl-2132- $140
    Edelbrock intake manifold- Summit PN edl-2131- $186
    Clevite 77 main bearings- fastengineparts.com PN ms1041p- $50
    Clevite 77 rod bearings- fastengineparts.com PN cb960p- $32
    Durabond cam bearings- fastengineparts.com PN n-9- $21
    Federal Mogul sealed power pistons- fastengineparts.com PN 1079p- $160
    Piston rings- fastengineparts.com PN 568- $39
    Comp Camps pushrods- Summit PN cca-7812-16- $30
    Stock rocker arms
    Oil pump
    Fel Pro gaskets- Summit PN fel-ks2002- $89
    Bolt kit- Where to get?
    Valves- Where to find? Anyone make recessed ones?
    Edelbrock valve springs- Summit PN edl-5832- $63
    Valve guides- Axed
    Valve seals- These come with gasket kit
    Valve covers- Where to find?
    Cloyes timing set- Summit PN clo-9-3118- $100
    Proform HEI distributor- Summit PN pro-67185- $210

Recomendations on specific parts deffinately appreciated.
    Last edited by afroman006; 03-04-2006 at 11:56 PM.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Edelbrock cam & lifters- Summit PN edl-2132- $140
    Edelbrock intake manifold- Summit PN edl-2131- $186
    Clevite 77 bearings- parts store
    Piston rings- parts store, mine are sealed power .030 over
    Pushrods- same length as small block gm
    Rocker arms- parts store, or harland sharp
    Oil pump-bulltear
    Bolt kit- arp
    Valves- parts store
    Valve guides- Where to find? kustom. are you machining your own heads?
    Valve seals- parts store
    Valve covers- junkyard,milodon,edelbrock,jc whitney,omix.

No, I really did get drunk and talk to his daughter at a party.....at least we're pretty sure it was her.

You should probably get yourself a basic rebuild kit to get most of that stuff at a better price.

Updated. I think I'm going to stick with stock rockers because to use rollers and guideplates you have to have like .250" machined off the head and get an expensive ass ARP stud kit. Its probably gonna be more than I want to spend so I'll stick with the stockers. Should I replace them with new ones? Comp cams makes hardened pushrods so I think I'll get them incase I decide to upgrade the heads later. What is the bore of the 304? I'm lookin into Fel Pro and Speed Pro for them but dont know what size. Kopeki, I havent found any decent rebuild kits, just a few on ebay and I dont know what brand components they have.

Will the stock valve spring retainers and clips work with the edelbrock springs or will I need new ones too?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Which of these timing sets is better? The one from Summit is advertised as a roller set and is $100 and the one from fastengineparts is advertised as HD and is $73.

http://www.fastengineparts.com/produ...ew.php?id=1637

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

To upgrade the heads, get a 360. Supposedly if you bore the 304 enough you can use 360 heads. Don't know how much is needed. But then there isn't really a point in it if you're gonna use the edelbrock cam. But then there isn't much point in building a 304 when you could have a 360.

That engine won't spin fast enough with the edelbrock cam to need guide plates.

The stock rockers are likely OK. Take a look at them and decide for yourself. You can use rockers made for a sbc if you need new ones. Stock ratio is 1.6.

Most parts stores sell rebuild kits, go ask.

HEI is not for TBI. Use the duraspark. If you want you can upgrade it to a bigger cap and use ford TFI ignition, better than HEI anyway.
    Last edited by eight; 03-05-2006 at 09:35 AM.