Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Huntin' Jeep

What size are the spindle nuts on a D30? I started taking it apart but didnt have a socket big enough, and the "parts professionals" at the Kingsville vatozone arent any help...
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

tape measure? calipers?

same size as a dana 44, and I've borrowed scotts "toyota socket" before and it worked.

I've seen a hammer and fork used too.

never screwed with a 30, but on the 44 they have the 4 slots on the nuts, do these have that
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

No they're hex nuts. If they had slots I would have done the screwdriver technique and just bought a socket later.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

do the screw driver deal anyways. ive never found a socket that will fit. the part stores have a socket that kindas fits until you need to tighten or loosen it, then it slips off.

Ben97XJ
    36MM for the ones with unit bearings anyway.

Shaggy
    36mm was the size on lynda's jeep

I've got a set of needle-nose pliers that works pretty good, but the pronged-style works on just about everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Shaggy
    I have three of those pictured there... both corner ones in the back and the second one to the right in the front

I ended up going the screwdriver route. Aparently the nuts are fairly soft so I just hammered a little nick into them and used the screwdriver to get em off. I got the D30 entirely torn down, all the pieces are so little and cute. Does any company make some kind of seal to keep dirt and water out of the tubes? The inner shafts were fairly rusty and there was a bunch of dirt inside the tubes. I've seen the little o-ring external seals offered for TJ's but none for CJ's.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/axleseals/index.asp

That was like 5ish years ago, don't know if the company still exists or makes those anymore. I think there's a link at the bottom of the page with some contact info.

Well I been workin on the yeep while I've been home and have made some good progress. I got the spring over most of the way done. The front axle came already setup for it and I just did the rear today. I pointed the pinion straight at the t-case, cause I plan to run a CV driveshaft. Now all I need to do in that regard is to buy and weld on some new shock tabs. According to the tags on the diff's, the rear axle I'm using has 3.73 gears and the front axle has 3.54's (or somewhere around there). No biggie, I'll just snag the gears out of the old front axle. One interesting note is the front leaf springs. The ones that came on my jeep were trashed, the front axle was sitting on the bumpstops. I bought Robbie's stock springs from him and noticed that his have 7 leaves and mine only had 5. My jeep came with a v8 and his the straight 6, whats with that? The new ones seem a little stiff, but the front clip isnt on so I'm sure thats why.

Now that I got most of the suspension done (I wanted to make sure shackle angles were ok so I left the jeep mostly intact while I did the suspension mods), I can move on to the rest of the disassembly. I started unbolting the body from the frame and holy hell is the body in sorry shape. I'm gonna have to replace about 95% of the floor, both rockers, the entire to-be tailgate area, and one rear corner. Where's the best place to get replacement body panels? I'm going to try to take the body off the frame next. This should be interesting, as I will be working by myself and my engine hoist is currently on loan to a friend. I forgot my camera cord in CS so pics will have to wait till I get back.

maybe be cheaper to find a tub thats in better shape?

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

Part of the goal of this project is for me to get some practice with body work for future, more valuable, projects.

ah ha, i see

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5