Thread: 700r4 problem

700r4 problem

it worked fine before i pulled it out. now the torque converter is making a slight whirring/rattling sound and it leaks fluid out of the tc cover only after i kill it and let it sit. doesnt leak while its running. i overfilled it b/c the level is so hard to see on the stick, but havent drained any out yet. anybody got any ideas before i pull the cover and see where it coming from. could it be due to being over filled, id say about a half quart.

BigRedFord04
    time for an NP465....autos are too mysterious.

aggiemudman
    did you make sure to seat it all the way on the shaft? Y did you take it out? Rebuild? I had some problems with mine after rebuild b/c it was an older one. had to get some machining done on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    time for an NP465....autos are too mysterious.
    Do you mean an NP435, or and SM465?

BigRedFord04
    yep....one of them fancy one's w/ a stick coming out the top.

ZF is where its at, yo!

nv4500 was the plan before i found the engine/tranny combo. anyways, yeah im pretty sure its seated. its got two slots on the tc output that engage and the engine/trans wont bolt together if its not seated. it worked with no noises or leaks for about 50 miles prolly.

note to self: too much atf will make that magical box of a auto tranny sing songs of death and leak. i changed out the filter and refilled the fuid to the proper level and no more problems.