Thread: **** J&P Standard Transmission (again)

BigRedFord04

**** J&P Standard Transmission (again)

disclaimer: the views, opinions, experiences, etc expressed in this post are solely my own and do not reflect any endorsement nor warning of said company by Texas A&M Off-Road as an organization. I wanted this in a public forum for all users and visitors alike to see and make their own judgements based on my experience.

**** J&P STANDARD TRANSMISSION!!! they ****ed up AGAIN!!! how are these *******s still in business??? ****!!! *** ****** for the love of jebus dont let these guys work on your ****!!!

i've been getting a funny vibration for the past week or so. monday i checked and filled the tranny and transfer case and was going to change the fluid in the rearend, but couldnt get a diff cover gasket that nite so i ordered one and did it this evening. after pulling the cover i could see tiny metal flakes in the old gear oil as it ran out. J&P set up these gears for me in April...i didnt think much of it, figured it was probably about normal for a gear setup breaking in. i did change the fluid once before after ~500 miles on the setup. this time while scraping the old gasket off the housing i noticed the factory stamp for alignment of the proper bearing caps...but didnt see the matching stamp on the cap. after some looking i realized that not only did they put the caps on upside down....they put them on the wrong ****ing sides!!! doing this only gave the bearing about 2/3 of the surface area around the race that is supposed to hold it in place. so, basically, both my carrier bearings are trashed, and, from not having the proper clearances b.c. of the wrong caps, have spun in the caps/housing. i didnt pull the carrier b.c. i was too afraid of what i might find, e.g. necessity of replacing the entire rear axle. i put the caps back on the correct way and torqued to specs. still not 100% sure if it was the right thing to do but the way i see it, its ****ed up already. put the cover back on and filled it up. we'll see if the vibration has gone away or if its caused by my 2nd suspicion, worn to piss tires.

for those reading my gripes about this company for the 1st time, here's a brief synopsis of my experience w/ them:
    1. rebuilt a transmission and ****ed me into buying $350 in parts that it didnt need.
    2. said transmission only lasted ~10K miles before needing another rebuild and they wouldnt warranty it.
    3. hammer and pry bar carrier removal method. sure this is how most of us shade tree mechanics do it, but this is a professional ****ing shop! the guy didnt know what a case spreader was when i asked him if they had one.
    4. asshat removal guy spills gear oil all over the floor, then puts kitty litter over it, then proceeds to drop my brand new carrier bearings into the kitty litter.
    5. when i asked if they used a dial gauge to set backlash the guy laughed and said "guage? we dont need no stinkin' gauge!"

....and now this. yes i'm sure it can be said it was my fault for going back to them but i had heard nothing but good stuff for 2 years prior to my 1st experience there....and when you're a poor college student you dont have much choice but to get things as cheap as possible, especially if your DD is down. this is more than obviously a case of 'you get what you pay for'. if possible, i highly recommend you save up another week or two if you have to and go to BVD or Bryan Drivetrain if you need work in the B/CS area. if it can wait go to a reputable shop elsewhere in Texas.

**** J&P, **** ITS EMPLOYEES, **** ITS OWNERS AND **** THE 3 LEGGED DOG THEY HAVE RUNNING AROUND THE SHOP!! **** 'EM ALL!!

:MAD: :MAD: :MAD:

now i will probably be forced to buy the posi or limited slip i've been wanting sooner than expected, and put in new bearings at the same time and hope for the best with the wear on the housing and caps.

****ed up caps:

****ed up bearings: (you can see the ID marking here, the backwards "E")

other side's stamp (sideways "E") and cap stamps, its obvious they should only go on one way.

maybe it's God telling you you're wrong...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

sh!t!
    sh!t cabinet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    my thoughts exactly.

BigRedFord04
    Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    doubt it.

no, that would take a much larger stick