Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln 429?

Lincoln 429?

Anyone know anything about these engines? I found a guy selling one along with a C6/NP205. Any info would be appreciated, as my only knowledge comes from Junior Brown. Hell, that alone is almost enough reason to buy it!

My pappy said son you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that hot...rod...Scout?

The 429 is a Ford engine. It was used in Ford and Mercury cars starting in the late 60's and lasted for a few years.

It is interchangeable with a 460 and Ford often offered the 460 as an optional engine along side the 429.

Lincoln, as far as I can tell, never used the 429, only the 460.

-Mark
    Last edited by mark; 08-22-2002 at 09:36 AM.
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

Krawler68
    I say 429 bored .60 over... dual plane intake manifold... two propane fuel mixers on 4 barrel throttle plates, and a 18:1 compression rate from custom heads and pistons... it'll run at any angle and snap axleshafts like candy canes.

Originally posted by Krawler68
    I say 429 bored .60 over... dual plane intake manifold... two propane fuel mixers on 4 barrel throttle plates, and a 18:1 compression rate from custom heads and pistons... it'll run at any angle and snap axleshafts like candy canes.
    Just a second there professor...That's not exactly what I'm looking for. So, would parts availability be a problem, or will 460 parts fit it? I'm not sure I understand. I'm looking for something that can be persuaded to put out some respectable hp and torque numbers, but I definitely don't want to "snap axleshafts like candy canes." Is this a viable option, or am I wasting my time?

HP is not a problem with the 429. The least powerful version claimed over 350HP in the late sixties.

There were a number of versions including the venerable Cobra Jet 429.

It is a member of the same engine family as the 460. Some parts will swap, some won't. This will require some research.

But they use the same accessory brackets, manifolds etc. Even the newer Duraspark ignitions will swap with no modifications.

The only issue is age. Correct me if I am wrong, but the last ones were put in cars in the mid '70's.

The combo that you have found is quite popular for swaps into 78-79 FS Broncos. So those folks might provide some good info.

-Mark
    Last edited by mark; 08-22-2002 at 01:27 PM.

I just did a bit of that research (its a slow day at work) and found that aside from the crank and pistons, the 429 and 460 are identical.

Here are a couple of 429 resources:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/198944

http://fomoco.com/ford-info-resources.shtml

Good Luck,
    Mark

I say fuel injected 392, if it can pull a bus along, it should handle that scout no problem. I will build one one day when funds allow, mark my words, it will be heavy and antiquated, but will make hella torque. Incidentally, did anyone see the scout in 4wheel whorehouses rag they send out? It has a 500ci caddy motor in it and 6, yes 6, shocks on the rear axle. This guy has a tech page for scouts, and is a tool.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Originally posted by Krawler68

propane is gay doogie....why would someone want propane when they can afford FI....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Originally posted by BMFScout
    I say fuel injected 392
    I say IH 400. best motor ever made. wait a second, its a rebadged AMC 401

haymarket square riot

i say FLem is a jealous fag, sorry I didn't call you tonight rob, I forgot. I am reaaly drunk at this point, let's drink beer and work on **** tomorrow night, I will be in the shop more than likely. Need to get **** done before skool starts, are you going donw to TAMU anytime soon? I need someone to haul my "chopper" down ther so I don't have to haul a trailer behind Scout.
    -end of drunken post from a glorified moped owner
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Krawler68
    Originally posted by StevenAg03

propane is gay doogie....why would someone want propane when they can afford FI....
    Because propane is MUCH less complicated, cleaner burning, promotes longer engine life, cheaper when purchased tax free, and if a motor is built for propane it can produce MUCH more HP because of the 103 octane rating of Propane... it just requires compression... and the only gay thing here is your 258... you can't afford propane OR Fuel injection so hush Stevie...
    Last edited by Krawler68; 08-26-2002 at 08:53 AM.

its a good idea, but the whole alternative fuel thing kinda sucks. Its hard enough to find a gas station selling diesel in North Dallas. Getting that siamese tank of yours filled would be a half hour drive or so.

Krawler68
    yeah but the 32 gallon capacity means I don't have to do it very often... and the best place to get the LPG is at welding supply stores... around here those are a dime a dozen... On the way back from CO with my dad I was able to find a station every time we needed to fill up. We even woke one guy up to sell us Propane at 11:30 at night in lubbock. Not bad if you know where to look.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    what if you accidently run out on the traill.....your fawked then...

and what if you tank springs a leak....with gas you can easily siphon it all out and fix the leak. nope...not propane...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Krawler68
    if my tank spring s a leak I'm more than ****ed... it is rated at 2500 PSI and is extremely flammable in gasseous form. That's why the cage is built around it and all my lines are steel braided and Steel mesh covered... it's also why I replaced my sending unti and its seal. Of all the problems with LPG a leak isn't a common one... The 1/4" thick tank is plenty beefy. Remember the tank that I had filled in C.S.? It's still the tank that's running my EB... that's over a year later and it was only a 10 gallon fillup... doesn't seem to be leaking now... considering its placement I doubt anything will change that.

As for running out on the trail... I have an 80 gallon portable tank that will be chained to my trailer with a "wet leg" ( filler hose and regulator). If I have any problems one of you boys can always run back to the rig and save my ass... once again... this is one of my least worries...

Check out how many people in the West have been switching to LPG because of emmisions requirements and performance... I'd say 10+- competition rigs run it now... MANY more recreational rigs.