Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why do the tjs lift a wheel?

Why do the tjs lift a wheel?

What is it about the suspension geometry that makes the TJs (like Creighton's and Lissa's) lift the front driver's side corner? Is it in the front suspension or the back? Creighton said it has something to do with the driveline rotation? Does anybody have a good explanation of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I think it is the short arms, combined with driveshaft rotation. I just know that without a rear swaybar because the link is broken, I can lift the front driverside tire on the street if I make a sharp left turn from a full stop. I know cause I did it today infront of lupos and and some people looked at me real funny
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

how does a posi-trac in a plymouth work? they just do....

Quote Originally Posted by J Cooper
    how does a posi-trac in a plymouth work? they just do....

When the vehicle starts moving and torque from the motor is applied it travels down the frame towards the rear. If you notice when big muscle cars (not ricers) take off the right rear corner squats down. The same thing is happening but just not as big since jeepys have tinyer motor. So in turn it is pulling up on the left front and combined with the short arms the tire is lifted. It doesn't do this stock since the arms geometry is set right but with a lift it is thrown out of wack.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    ---self-edited------
    apparently we can't joke in tech...since our tech is so serious and involved around here.
    Last edited by Fredo; 03-01-2005 at 03:28 PM.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

I like the short arm answer, but could it be becuase of the short arms in the back, i.e. the antisquat caused by a high roll center from steep angles on the lowers?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I think it is mostly b/c TJ suspensions suck. I'm gonna drop anti-squat and roll center in here somewhere b/c I heard flem and St.John talking about it the other day, so it must be important. Oh yeah, and Herb Adams is the shiznit, or something. All I know for sure is that I did it one day in Lissa's jeep whilst turning back onto Hwy. 6 off the shoulder, and it did it "mondo" high. It must be something with the short wheelbase, high center of gravity, and the shnitty angle the midget connecting links are at. The other thing I was thinking about is a rear locker is going to make it want to go straight, while the front right tire digs into a left handed turn. I don't know anything for sure, Butkiss do you have any lifting problems with the longer links? I think they are the problem.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    it's because Jeeps blow monkey nuts!

-Greetings from work
    I'm suprised your computer at work will let you type that. I bet it has a filter to block out anything with "jeep" and "sucks" in the same sentence.

By switching over to longer arms and regaining the correct geometry you can get rid of the problem though. Another gimick by DamnLar Chrysler to give money back to the after market.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

I could lift one of the front tires, but it was more fun to cut left turns really tight and pull the left rear up. I think the driveline torque coming down such a short wheelbase combined with short control arms being used at a non-stock lift height let things get a little twisted and lifted tires are the result.

I don't have the problem anymore...not sure why - must be because it doesn't run.

I'll take a stab: when you press the gas and turn left the jeep is wanting to go forward. the rear links in the rear are what the force presses on (how the drive force is transmitted to the frame)to make the jeep go forward right? so when you turn sharp left the body sways to the right. your rear links (on the left side) are more vertical and the drive force is now traveling up the link trying to tip the vehicle. this coupled w/ the front wheels turned left and probably less suspension travel makes the front stay put (from going straight forward) and the front wheel lifts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Graystroke; 03-01-2005 at 06:33 PM.

savvyaggie
    yeah!!!

I think I'll just make sure my lowers are as close to flat as I can get them, as much vert separation as I can get at the axle (prob only 8 or 10 inches tho) and at the frame (maybe 4 inches) and see what happens. Don't hold your breath, not gonna happen until I toast another spring pack

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    Don't hold your breath, not gonna happen until I toast another spring pack
    So pretty much after the next trip right?

nope, 2 trips...gonna build a burly spring pack this time, but I probably won't like it and will take out some leaves since I refuse to add weight to the back, so I'll have one trip with no rear spring breakage but no flex, then the one after will be another "bottle rocket" trip...whiz-pop!
    I might be up for a new clutch (new to me, at least) after the next one tho!

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    I think I'll just make sure my lowers are as close to flat as I can get them
    why not, it worked for your shocks