Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why do the tjs lift a wheel?

I like grayson's explenation. I know that the lack ofa rear swaybar right now and having the front connected definetly helps in picking up the front tire. But it sure does make u turns interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

True Hollywood Stry
    I know, i know, "cause its a jeep thing, and you wouldn't understand", but of course neither do they.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

back on topic, aside from longer, flatter rear links, the best solution to this would be a rear swaybar, like the currie anti-rock or whatever it's called? Longer front links shouldn't help, should they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    back on topic, aside from longer, flatter rear links, the best solution to this would be a rear swaybar, like the currie anti-rock or whatever it's called? Longer front links shouldn't help, should they?
    Longer links will return the geometry of the front suspension closer to factory. The longer links will have less of a nangle. Kind of like rigs with short rear links getting so much rear steer.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

okay how about swaybar tech? They mainly prevent body roll, right? Or do they also play some part in limiting how far the rear wheels can walk under you?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I've spent several hours on the ****ter with just about every book Dallas public library has on the topic.... here's whats up

the longer flatter links is hillbilly talk for getting the angle set up right. You want the uppers and lowers to intersect at or above the plane parallel to the ground that the center of gravity is on or you get squat. Above the line the ass end jacks up. Lift a link suspension and the link angles go up and the 2 intersect higher above the center of gravity plane and the ass end jumps like a lifted TJ.

In none of these books was the phrase "vertical seperation" used. Thats a pirate 4x4 idiot term.

swaybar has nothing to do with locating the axle, it just increases the spring rate as the suspension compresses on one side of the vehicle while decreasing on the other side

how do you know where your center of gravity is?
    in hillbilly terms please
    and I understand vertical separation as being a convenient way to reduce stress on your links and their brackets.

[QUOTE=uglyota]how do you know where your center of gravity is?
    in hillbilly terms please
    QUOTE]

draw a solidworks model with correct mass properties and it'll tell you. oh, hillbilly terms... jack it up in the middle where it'll balance, thats the longitudinal location. for verticle upsprung Cg id say a guess is in order.

therein lies the problem. All the calculations and drawings in the world can't help unless you know where your "vertical unsprung" COG (the one Flem was talking about) is.

expensive scales, weigh it, then raise one end and weigh it again. see what the weight difference is on one end, then cackulate it using a bunch of trig and vector stuff. There was an easy plug in formula I read awhile ago, don't remember it but its probably google-able.

oops, i meant verticle sprung Cg. you can assume the unsprung Cg is neglegible since the axles, tires, and wheels weigh roughly the same and that weight wont affect how the body moves.

Look for the 4-link calculator on pirate...if you can't find it let me know and I'll hunt it up on my computer and send it to you.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

ive got it too
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    take you shiznit to the scales at a place like a iron scrap yard...weight it on all fours. then you do several combos of lifting...i think its like lift one front tire about 2ft and weigh it...then the whole front end and do it and a couple more....then as robert said, there are some calculations involved to find your exact COG...its on pirate somewhere just not sure where. also its on a jeep site...ill see if i can find it.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    here is a site that will explain everything in good detail...i know its for jeeps but it will still work for your toyody

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/cog/

and here is a word writeup and a excel spreadsheet to do all the calulations...

excel spreadsheet
    http://home.att.net/~email.id/COGROAss.xls

word doc
    http://home.att.net/~email.id/COGROAdoc.doc
    Last edited by StevenAg03; 03-02-2005 at 10:44 PM.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."