Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Scotty's Claton Breakage

Chris Scotty's Claton Breakage

I finally got a chance to take Chris’s Four Runner apart. I fond the rear ring and pinion trashed. The front had a broken axle shaft on the passenger side and he blow up the birfield and the driver’s side.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    so is this considered a suprise to you guys still....i mean, at this point, why would you even take pics of broken yota axle parts?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Is "driving it till the wheels don't turn" on the way to "drive it till the wheels fall off?"
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    so is this considered a suprise to you guys still....i mean, at this point, why would you even take pics of broken yota axle parts?
    Hey, you can't group all of us in the same group. Busa wheels the piss out of his rig and Chris has some ****ty luck keeping his in one piece.
    The toyota stuff holds up great for us mall crawlers
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

I agree it has to do with your style of wheeling, balls to the wall will break **** regardless of it strength. I think Chris's axles went on strike due to the American transplant in the powertrain area.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

thats incredible, especially considering that the ARB survived that
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    i agree jimmy...im not sure what tires chris is using now, i assume somewhere around 36's, but that combined with a healthy v8 => broken axles....its much different with a 22re
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

who set up the gears?
    It's been years since people tried running stock birfs between 35+ tires with locker, gears and 350ci. I'm only running 33s and stock drivetrain and am waiting until I can afford longs to lock it up
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

That's a little conservative Eric. I think you're pretty safe to run 33s and be locked without Longs. You'd really have to be in a bind to tear them up with that combo. I like the "on strike" bit Jimmy.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Seriously?
    How was your runner set up?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I ran mini truck birfs with 35s for a long time. Just dont back up with the wheels turned and they'll last a while.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

you gaht lockah?
    I hate breakage and am trying really hard to build my rig so that any moron (me ) can get in it turn the key and not worry about anything but keeping the rubber side down. Thus I have my lunchbox locker in storage instead of in the axle. If you guys think I can bind up my heavy 33s and dump the clutch without breaking a birf, I guess I'll go ahead and do it.
    sorry for the hijack, chris. 4.88 and 30 spline time?

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007
    thats incredible, especially considering that the ARB survived that
    thats what there disigned to do.... blow up everything else before the locker.... guess it works

ARBs are a strong design. When the longfeilds came out, it moved up the breaking point on toyota axles substantially (sp?). As a result, people began breaking inner axles first. The big problem was the differences in the new breaking point versus the old far exceeded most lockers design specs. So now when you snapped a shaft, you had a descent chance of killing your locker as well. Lunchbox style lockers didn't stand a chance, and even the detriot locker often was killed by the backlash. Yet ARBs to my knowledge have never suffered a failure.

not trying to be an ass here, but chris had it coming. A big heavy 2nd gen 4runner, a v8, 35s, and a locker all on stock birfs? Thats just a recipe for disaster. In that kind of rig I wouldn't run anything short of a D60