Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Chris Scotty's Claton Breakage

OK, so with the mods to the front axle it'll probably survive decently. Should be stronger than a d44. How about swapping something else into the rear? Maybe a 9"? Pick up an EB 9" and put in a $409 detroit and 31 spline alloy axle shafts with 6 lugs. Should be able to do it for about $1000, and get $500 out of the toy rear. How wide are the tacoma rear axles? I think they have a bigger r&p.

has he broken the rear yet? I wouldn't bother swapping it unless I was swapping the front as well. Really the only weak link there is the gears

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    has he broken the rear yet? I wouldn't bother swapping it unless I was swapping the front as well. Really the only weak link there is the gears
    I stripped a bunch of teeth off the gears in the rear axle. I agree that this will continue to be the weak point until I get a doubler and can swap down to 4.10's. In fact, if I stayed with 5.29's and did new axles, wouldn't this still be the weak point?
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti
    1988 Suzuki Samurai buggy

I assume that you have the auto? I think that the 4.10s would be doable w/ the auto and the 350. IT might not crawl super slow, but it should be enough and it will help prevent the breakage
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

what about just changing tcases, what would you be looking at to put in 4.10 thirds, welded rear, lockrite front (temporary of course), and something else with lower gears, like a d300 or something, maybe even adapt on a yota tcase?
    You might be able to get away without the dshaft mods (btw, how much does TW charge for mods to his own dshafts?).
    I agree you need to eventually move to a 60/14b, but you can run the super longfields until you have some time to mess with it, then part out your shafts, arbs, thirds, and crossover steering and you wouldn't have to dump too much more into the boat anchor axles. How do you come up with $1500 after purchase price?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

what about just changing tcases,
    Changing Tcases sounds a little extreme just to allow 4.10's. I don't know enough about this option to really comment though.

btw, how much does TW charge for mods to his own dshafts?
    TW charges about $75 per shaft + about $50 shipping both ways.

How do you come up with $1500 after purchase price?
    I think you are asking for my total for the current work Busa is proposing doing:
    $625 Super Longfield Kit
    $50 2 Spindles
    $150 R&P Setup by 4WP (The R&P themselves are warrantied)
    $150 Misc (gear oil, bearings, seals, etc...)
    ~$500 labor
    $1475 Total
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

I meant $1500 after purchase of d60/14b
    what happened to your spindles, and where are you getting them for $25?
    the point of "just to run 4.10s" is that you have to do something that will allow you to run 4.10s if you want to run yota axles and stop breaking r&ps
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    what happened to your spindles, and where are you getting them for $25?
    the point of "just to run 4.10s" is that you have to do something that will allow you to run 4.10s if you want to run yota axles and stop breaking r&ps

I don't know, Busa just said the spindles needed to be replaced. He has some spares around he'll give me for $25ea.

I am seriously considering your (and several others) suggestion to swap down to 4.10s. Since I can get these 5.29's replaced for just the $150 setup though, I am tempted to try them first and then swap them next time I break them. The way I figure it, it would cost $450-$600 for the 4.10 swap (depending on the deal 4wp cuts me), plus the pain in the ass (labor cost) of taking the front end apart.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

BTW, I'm not talking about buying 4.10 gears from 4wheelfarts. The original yota gears have got to be stronger. You've got to pull the front end apart anyway to install your longs. 12 extra nuts to remove is a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    BTW, I'm not talking about buying 4.10 gears from 4wheelfarts. The original yota gears have got to be stronger. You've got to pull the front end apart anyway to install your longs. 12 extra nuts to remove is a moot point.
    Good point. Not sure what I was thinking about on the front end labor. I will talk to Busa about this later today.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

Ok, after talking to Busa and Davido, and hearing your suggestions, I have decided to give 4.10's a try - IF I can find them, that is. Does anyone have a lead on some stock 4.10s? I would need to at least get a bead on them in the next couple of days, because I was planning on getting the 5.29's replaced on Thursday in Austin.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

there's always some on pirate...

It's on eeeeebayyyy!
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

I've got one stock diff at the house with 4.10s. Pm me

here are front and rear 4.10s from a tacoma for $160
    I noticed that the shipping was $80? So I sent him an email asking why
    Tacoma 4.10's on ebay
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?