Thread: Electric fans!

Threaded View

Electric fans!

Finally got around to installing my Ford Windstar fans in the burb. I decided on electric fans because when I did my body lift, the instructions directed me to remove the bottom half of the fan shroud, and that was it. Obviously this hurt the cooling efficiency of the stock system so something had to be done. Rather than bother with the stock system that didnt work that well anyway, I decided to upgrade to the elctric fans, since they are more efficient and just an all around better way to go. I chose the windstar fans because they are supposed to be an almost perfect fit for Chevy radiators, there's about a 3" gap at the bottom but its close enough for government work. For those that dont know, the winstar fans have 2 fans, one slightly larger than the other, and the larger one is a two speed .

I got the fans off ebay for $30 and the controller from summit for $65. Another $30 for circuit breakers and wire and some free junkyard relays and I was good to go. I used a wiring diagram I got off coloradok5.com but modified it to work with the features of my controller (a/c on, manual override). I wired two switches to my uber-console, one for manual override on and one for manual off. The override on one works but the off one doesnt... I will have to look into that one but will not worry about it for now. I mounted the controller, relays and breakers on a plate next to the radiator. Here's pics; first is exposed wiring, second is a close up of the panel, third is everything all loomed up.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"