Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crawler boxes for imaginary buggy...

Crawler boxes for imaginary buggy...

Ok, I need to get a lot of **** for this, so give it to me...

So if i ever start building the imaginary buggy, I'm going to want some kind crawler box. My original idea was 2 sm465's married and a 205 twin sticked. Well I've now been thinking about a doubler, but I'm not sure it would give me gears as low as I'd like. I'm planning on just sticking with the 4.10's in the axles... so that is hurting the doublers crawl ratio. The doubler only would get me to 104.5. I plan on running around 38 or 39" tires... In the blazer I had around 70 on 35's. I'm going to guess the buggy will weigh 1500 pounds less than the blazer so that should make a decent seat of the pants feel.

The dual sm465's obvioulsy would have a deeper crawl ratio, but I'm guessing anything over 180 is just completly rediculous. 180 may even be unnecassary. The problem is the this combo doesn't have anything between 173 and 102 which kinda of sucks... I already have already have the 2 sm465s and one mated to a 205 with a fixed yoke, but i could probably sell them for what I paid for them.

So now my new idea... for the first tranny i'd like to keep a 465, i have 2 2wheel drive ones already. I also have an assorment of bell houses and the slave/master cylinder.... So I've been researching different trannies that I think could hold up to being the second tranny. Keep in mind it will have alot of torque multiplication... Also, the t-case will probably need to be a 205 or the equivalent in strength. Also, some of these will be the wrong side drop, so I'll have to trade Kopeci my D60 for some Ford D60 he keeps talking about

Keep in mind I'm going to try to make the adapters my self regardless of what I do and I'm also going to try to make the shafts also. I'm really only familiar with the strength of the chevy stuff and some of the ford. It looks like i'm going to be researching the T-18 out of a jeep or IHC. At this point in time I have no idea on the strength of it or what t-cases it has and what side drop it is.

Chart:
    1st tranny is always a Sm465, the second trannies are listed below with all the relavant final crawl ratios.

Oh yeah, flame away!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1988 Blazer...RIP

As I searched more, I turned up an interesting concept that I've seen before and also talked about. Using the planetary section of a 208 or 241 in between the tranny and tcase. This would most likely be shorter, and much lighter. The 208 would yield 136 and 75, a 241 would produce 142 and 78.

It would be much simpler to drive only dealing with 2 ranges on the second box. 2 trannies and a twin stick might be pain in the ass to drive.

Any of these combinations could require at least 1 adapter plate, maybe 2 and at least 1 custom shaft.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by savvyaggie
    yeah!!!
    hmm since i don't know you, i don't know what to think. Ass!

Apparently you must be drunk, as you responded with that same reply in every other thread.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

jordan is cool, i said so
    Doug and his imaginary buggy however, are gay
    give me yor axles...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

too heavy!
    toy reduction box to dana 300!
    -edit, nevermind, that gets you up to like $800 in drivetrain adapters
    Last edited by uglyota; 03-10-2005 at 10:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

okay now that I've actually read your post...
    how are those numbers arranged?
    could you list them as 1st 1st low, 1st 2nd low, 1st 3rd low, 1st 4th low, 2nd 1st low, 2nd 2nd low, 2nd 3rd low, 2nd 4th low, etc.
    What I'm saying is you might get closer gearing if you wheel with the first tranny in 2nd or 3rd, and just shift through the second tranny.
    This also reduces torque on the second input shaft.
    this could also make you rethink running the 465 as the first tranny, and instead put the other tranny in front, and 465 behind.
    wanna know why your double tranny gibberish is actually interesting to me this time around?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

eric i ommited some of the selections as they were very close to each other, ie one was 172 and another was 171. Those are all the posibilities of both trannies and with the t-case in 1:1 high, and 1:1.96 low. I have a huge excel spread sheet at home if you want me to send it to you.

Also the numbers are obviously out of order:
    There is a pattern though, i think it goes low low low, then low low high, etc...

wanna do those brackets on friday after 5, we can talk more then.

I'm really leaning towards the SM465, 241 planetaries, and then the 205.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

yeah send it to me
    I think listing the numbers out of order takes a lot of the actual usability out of it. Don't you want to be able to row through the gears normally when you're actually wheeling it? Not worrying about whether to shift the first or second tranny or tcase?

fbronco86
    Doug you talk and think way to much

ps i read non of this post haha

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    you must have spent alot of time thinking about this - I saw your posts on lonestar - looks like fun.
    figure out something cool that I can put into Lynda's Heep for some better gear reduction...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

scott have you seen this thread?
    http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthr...0&page=1&pp=15
    Jorge needs some furrin parts...

If you used the 241/208 planetaries how would you cut up, seal, and adapt the case? I know the 241 stuff is plenty strong and the 208 stuff isnt too different so it'll probably work too but methinks that would be alot of fabrication. At least you get the 2.72 low range though.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    Doug you talk and think way to much

ps i read non of this post haha
    Yeah, so I got back on adderall and took 30 mg yesterday in 10mg intervals, the last one being at 5 so i could do better in lab from 6-9. I thought it would wear off by midnight, well not so much luck. I didn't sleep at all last night...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol
    you must have spent alot of time thinking about this - I saw your posts on lonestar - looks like fun.
    figure out something cool that I can put into Lynda's Heep for some better gear reduction...
    what does she have now as far as tranny and tcase?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    If you used the 241/208 planetaries how would you cut up, seal, and adapt the case? I know the 241 stuff is plenty strong and the 208 stuff isnt too different so it'll probably work too but methinks that would be alot of fabrication. At least you get the 2.72 low range though.
    I'd either make a new case, or just adapt the current case. If you look for a post by desertcj on pirate and search for planetaries. You can see how he used the original case.

I'd rather use a 241 for the lower range, but it seems they are harder to come by. Any one know of one around? I really only need the gear reduction part, i.e. the front half of the case.
    Last edited by Doug Krebs; 03-10-2005 at 08:58 PM.
    1988 Blazer...RIP