Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crawler boxes for imaginary buggy...

The driver's side ones are a dime a dozen cause they were the only case available in the 90's trucks. I doubt the electronic shift NP243 would work but it might be worth looking into, as they are highly available too. Passenger side drop ones are a PITA to find and I would shoot you if you cut one up ***. The low range of the 241 is 2.72 and the 208 is 2.62 IIRC, not THAT big of a difference but I guess for your setup you want all you can get.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    The driver's side ones are a dime a dozen cause they were the only case available in the 90's trucks. I doubt the electronic shift NP243 would work but it might be worth looking into, as they are highly available too. Passenger side drop ones are a PITA to find and I would shoot you if you cut one up ***. The low range of the 241 is 2.72 and the 208 is 2.62 IIRC, not THAT big of a difference but I guess for your setup you want all you can get.
    I'll cut up anything I choose! Actually, I think drivers side drop is what I need. Hopefully I'm selling my parts blazer the weekend after springbreak, so when I'm at the barn I'll pick up my 465 and 205 and start seing what I need.

Basically, the 205 i'm using is obvioulsy a passenger side drop. So the 241 needs to be passenger side drop so when I cut the case in half that side is on the driverside and not interfering the the front drive shaft.

Are all the internals in the 241 the same strenght wise? I'm guessing these came in Z71's and other IFS trucks?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I think all the gears are the same for the 241's but I'm positive the forks are different. the passenger side ones are a bent piece of flat steel and the d' side ones are cast aluminum (the d-side ones have alot better pad design though, that alone would make the d-side case a better choice IMO). In addition the little indexing nubbies on them are clocked differently. From what I hear the NP243 is completely different though.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

you want driver's drop? you want to sell the dodge front axle you have?

I know a way to get 229:1 out of a single t-case and tranny combo while only running 4.10 gears in the axles.
    243:1 w/ a SM420
    Last edited by Graystroke; 03-10-2005 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    you want driver's drop? you want to sell the dodge front axle you have?
    i want a driverside drop 241. I would cut that part off though. The 205 behind it would be a passenger side drop to go to the dodge axle. Think about it, the 205 case has the yoke and drive line on the passengerside. The 241 has the opposite, so when you cut the case in half all the junk on the driverside mostly goes away, but there will still be a square plate welded on that side. The passenger side of the 241 will just have the nice radius of the case next to the 205.

Still need to find a 241 though. Let me know if anyone see's one, and obviously the cheaper the better!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

here ya go, pictures are worth a 1000 words. This is desertcj's setup, he's running a 231 infront of a dana 300. I labeled it as the cases I will using.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1988 Blazer...RIP

AgDieseler
    Nice idea. There are a lot of clocking rings ou there for the 208/241 pattern, so you can move it up out of harm's way easily, and you retain the ability to twin-stick, and you have a hella strong planetary reduction in the 241. I like.

10-4 that is sweet. I found a ****load of D. side 241's down in the junkyards in corpus and they were anywhere from $300-$800, probably more than you want to pay but I might go on a junkyarding binge during the break so I'll keep my eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    10-4 that is sweet. I found a ****load of D. side 241's down in the junkyards in corpus and they were anywhere from $300-$800, probably more than you want to pay but I might go on a junkyarding binge during the break so I'll keep my eye out.

Hmmm apparently you don't know me.... $300-$800?????? Thats ****ing crazy talk! I'm a huge Joooooo the only think I pay 300 for is a dana 60! I thinking more like $50-75 max 100.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Anybody got a 231 they'd like to give me for about nothin? It don't need a chain. I don't even care if the case is cracked. Its for a research project.

ok, paid 25 more than i would have liked. I could only jooo him down to $125, but it's not worth my time and gas to go searching for better deals...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Did you buy it from Eliot?

no, gordon's
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Doug, have you seen this thread on Pirate? This guy built your imaginary 465/465 combo...after he built a 700R4/465 combo.

It's a little booty fab, but it apparently works.
    BDR