Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigpen

Pigpen

This was my first truck. Its an 84 Chevy C20 (2wd 3/4 ton). I blew up the 350 that was in it when I was 16 so its been sitting in my shop for a couple years. A few months ago I got the crazy idea to convert it to 4x4. I tore all the 2wd suspension off the front and started drilling holes, then got tired of it. I didnt touch it for about 6 months but became interested again during the break, mostly because I need to get it out of the way so I can get project cheapjeep in there. Anyway I decided to go balls to the wall and put the current 56" rear springs in the front, and a set of 63" ones in the rear. I have all the brackets from a 4x4 but some of them didnt fit so I'm having to do a little fab work for everything to go together. I'm gonna throw a 6.2L diesel I have in there for its low end torque and water-proofness and put the D60, 14 bolt and tires from the Burban on it. As usual, I'm aiming to spend as little as possible on it and si far I have $20 in bolts invested. Here's pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by afroman006; 10-02-2005 at 03:37 PM.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Few more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

fbronco86
    why are u gonna go with the diesel 6.2?

So what ya gonna do with the sumberbin?

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    why are u gonna go with the diesel 6.2?
    probably b/c it is free

Violentv8toy
    to mount the springs, build a hanger that welds up to the front of the frame. Thats probably the easiest to mount springs. thats what we did when we made my friends truck a 4wd.

I was in a hurry to make the post earlier and forgot to explain the name. It stands for Big Ugly Truck. After thinking it over awhile, I am renaming Eric's Yota S.L.U.T. for Small & Little Ugly Truck and mine is now B.U.T.T. Big Ugly Truck Thing. Together, we are B.U.T.T. S.L.U.T.

I am using the 6.2 because, as Grayson said, its free. I got it in trade for another truck. The particular engine I am using also has less than 100k on it and is in prety damn good condition overall. In addition, I have 3 extra engines should something bad happen, so no problem there... Finally, it is waterproof and everything that implies, I plan to snorkel this ***** and take it scuba diving.

The suburban is getting returned to stock and sold this summer, and no, not because its too big. I need something that I can tow up to 10k with and I also need a pickup bed for hauling parts all over the state. I have been borrowing my girlfriend's or mom's truck to tow with for awhile and it gets old having to depend on other people. I am in the market for a early 90's chevy or GMC crewcab 4x4.

As far as the spring hangers go, they are already done. For the front ones, I just swapped sides for the hangers in order to put the spring mount in front of the body mount, and drilled the 8 holes needed to mount each one. You can see them in the first pic.

I'm still going by Ugly
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

what are you going to do w/ the lift for the burb???
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9
    1983 Waggy

Sell it.

why don't you adapt that lift to you but truck
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

stinger7401
    i hope you are going to have more than those 4 bolts holding the engine to the frame.....Hanging the motor on the frame with just those is asking for a problem. The 6.2 is a damn heavy motor.

I'm not going to use the burban lift because I want the longer springs all around, to make it flex better. The factory length front springs are 48" and the ones I'm using are 56". The factory rears are the 56"ers that are now on the front and I will be putting a set of 63"ers in there with some gonzo-crazy shackle setup. I am gonna go look up a pic on coloradok5 of a guy that had 52's in the front, totaly insane flex.

I am not done with the crossmember. I was planning one adding something to bolt to the bottom of the frame, in addition to some bracing from the actual motor mount to the top of the frame to triangulate it.

so when you get finished w/ it you will be the puddle tester whenever we go wheeling, cause that could be some fun, especially somewhere like cibilo
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

You bet your ass I call first dibs on all waterholes once its done. Maybe "The test stick" would be a better name.