Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigpen

On chevy fans, they have four studs around the outside holding the fan onto the waterpump and pulley. On every gas engine fan I've ever seen, they have slots running from the holes to the outside of the fan mounting flange, I dont know why but they do. No, this diesel fan does not have the slots, it is just has holes. Also, chevy fans have a little nipple-stud thing in the middle of the pulley, and I'm guessing that is what the fan is stuck on, but I cant think of any way to get it off. I'm going to mess with it today and will get some pics and report back.

Oliver, if I ever get around to building a fresh engine for this thing, and decide to stick with a 6.2, I'll probably try to piece a turbo kit together, but we'll see. Do you know of any special method to get 6.2 fans off?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Cant you just take off the water pump? Or were you planning on using that nasty one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

I could. Taking thw water pump off a 6.2 is a huge PITA though, it is a plate that covers most of the front of the engine. I might have to anyway though, so we'll see.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

so why can't you take the nuts off the studs and hit it with a hammer?
    or rig up a slide-hammer to yank it off?
    my chevy fan is screwed onto the big fine-threaded post I mentioned earlier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Shaggy
    it should just be held on with the little nipple... the 7.3 took a few GOOD wacks with the hammer to come off... i dont see why it be too much different

the fan on my blazer just has the 4 bolts, no tricks...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

AgDieseler
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Do you know of any special method to get 6.2 fans off?
    You might be having difficulty based on the pulleys. All hummers and some cucvs got a funky set of pulleys with an extra groove. They're a little more difficult to take apart, but I've never had one get stuck. I've pulled fans off all of our diesels - new style, old style, whatever - and have never had a problem with it being stuck, so my advice is somewhat general.

1) Make doubley sure that all four nuts are completely removed.
    2) Check for corrosion that may be holding the fan clutch to the water pump.
    3) Locate hammer and cold chisel.
    4) GENTLY work your way around the flange to free it from the hub.
    5) Drink a beer.
    6) Repeat as needed.

For reference, this is what I have on my hummer 6.2L:
    http://www.oliverdiesel.com/images/h...installed3.jpg

PS: Put on a turbo. The GMx IHI turbos are on ebay for cheap, and you'll never regret it.

Got the fan off today. It took a little dubya-de-fortay and a ****load of brutality with the three pound persuasive device. Oliver, I suppose I may break down and turbo this ***** some day, but for now its not in the budget. Today I also cut the hole in the floor for the shifter, took all the bolts for the bed out (had to grind 5 out of 8 off) and took the saddle tanks out. I need to get some assistance over there to lift the bed off the frame.

This damn tranny crossmember is taking a long time to build. This is what I have at this point. The first two are the basic shape, and the third is a close up of my occasional kickass welding. I am going to add another tube for the actual mount then build a skidplate for the 205 with 1" .188 wall tube and 1/4" plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by afroman006; 07-02-2005 at 12:29 AM.

Shes 15 buttholes so back off for now. Anyway here's the current progress pics. I got the tranny crossmember finished and bolted in place. I like the way it turned out but time will tell if I can tolerate how low it hangs. The fourth pic is of the tranny breather that I had to bootyfab because I accidentaly broke the normal one off flush with housing. It is a piece of hard brakeline with a 90 degree bend jb welded flat against the breather hole. The last is my rear suspension mocked up with weight on it.

Couple more of the rear.

Nice work on the crossmember, that's pretty sweet
    BDR

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    are you plannign on running a full bed on that thing? if not why dont you move the springs forward to shorten the wheelbase a bit?
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

No, I wont be running the bed. I positioned the rear axle so that I would not have to modify my High Angle CV driveshaft from the suburban (58" long). If it really bug the hell out of me, I might go changin it up later, but we'll see. The rear axle is about 1' forward of "stock" position on the frame. That coupled with the front axle moved forward 4" should make for about a burban sized wheelbase. (~130") I know this is long but I plan on running the biggest tires I can afford later so who knows what could happen.

thats one damn long truck, are you going to do anything to the sides so that you can pivot off of trees, rocks ect.. when it wont turn
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?