Page 5 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigpen

i think hes cutting off 12 or 14" off of the frame, so that should help some

jwingfield2k
    That crossmember is real nice playa. See your running the same rear spring hangers as me... hehe.

Actually wingnut, the rear hanger I'm running are off a 2wd, and the ones I sold you are off a 4x4. The 2wd are about 3-4" shorter, which work perfectly for me because I'm running the 3" longer shackles. Creighton, this one will be able to turn because I will be running crossover steering with hydro-assist added later. In any case, I'm keeping the doors to pivot off of for now (Frick style) and will have two bars over the door holes when I exo-cage it later on. The frame will be cut right behind the rear hanger, so about 12" off the back.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I got some work done today. I went ahead an measured the wheelbase, and it taped out at 127." Almost the same as the burban, but with about 2' less overhang in the rear. Today, I got finished welding and painted up the york bracket for the 6.2. I decided to ditch the second alternator idea and instead put the york in its place. I bootyfabbed the brackets out of a few piece of factory brackets I had laying around, and some other misc stuff, but I forgot to get pics. I will get it permanently mounted up tomorow and will get pics then. I also built the dual battery tray that will mount on the firewall. I hope the actual firewall will be able to hold the weight of two batteries, I know my trey will. I also painted my kustom fewl sell. I received my rear drive flange and e-brake from High Angle today so I'll get that and the rear driveshaft mounted tomorow hopefully. Here's pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

looks good robert, but those bolts are gonna rip through the firewall unless you have some serious reinforcement on the back. And it's too long
    have you tried clamping a piece of angle iron to the metal you're torching to use as a guide?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Screw straight cuts, the ragged edge is part of the vehicle's motif, kinda like, "Yah, thats right *****, I'm on the ragged edge...of falling apart..." Here's the york brackets pics.

One more.

This weekend prety much all I got done was mount the battery tray and build the steering box braces. The tray is attached to the firewall with 5 3/8" G5 bolts and 10 large sheetmetal screws. I put the batteries on and it seems to be fine so we'll see. The steering braces turned out badass! I'll get some better pics when I take them off to paint because they are deffinately worth taking lots of pictures. I stole the basic design from the offroad design brace that I had for the burban, but had to get creative because of the 2wd frame and crossmember.

Here are some crappy close ups of the braces. Also, the gas tank mount and I added a couple more leafs to the front spring packs and now it sits just right.

those braces look like they could be some abstract piece displayed at the local civic center

you must be joking

ive seen those somewhere before

I know. Maybe I can sell em for like $500 each on ebay, that would be badass. See my problem is I've gotten prety good at welding, but I am still lacking in the cutting torch and fitting departments, so most of my projects come out looking like the wavy brace. Oh well, they'll do the job and no one will ever see them.

dont try to free hand it so much. use your other arm to brace against. lay your left hand down on what you are cutting, then lay the torch across your left hand.

You can also take a piece of angle iron and lay it like an upside down v. then rest your hand lightly on the edge slide to help with long straight cuts.

Project is lookin good!
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    have you tried clamping a piece of angle iron to the metal you're torching to use as a guide?
    he already didn't like that idea.
    Now replace that stock crossmember that you painted with some tube. It looks way out of place.
    and start boxing in your frame
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools