Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Stereo Advice

ill be your pickup man

Car Stereo Advice

The stock stereo in my F150 blows donkey balls. I turn it up all the way and I could still have a conversation with the person next to me. Not too cool. I have never cared to mess with stereo stuff, b/c it has always been satisfactory, until now.

From looking through Crutchfield, and talking to some shops, it seems like the best place to start would be an amplifier for the stock setup. I have been told that stock speakers can handle alot more. Is this true?

What brands of amp would you guys recommend? How many watts do I need to go to each speaker? I eventually want to replace the stock speakers with better ones (components?) and a good head unit (I like the Kenwood ddx7015)

I am also anal and would like all the components of the system(amp, speakers, head unit) to be from the same brand.

Suggestions?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

aggieblazer07
    I would replace the actual stereo first. You would be suprised at how much better stock speakers sound when they actually have enough power supplied to them.

I like crossfire amps and speakers.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

fbronco86
    i would update the head unit first too.

Quote Originally Posted by aggieblazer07
    I would replace the actual stereo first. You would be suprised at how much better stock speakers sound when they actually have enough power supplied to them.
    I agree. With my high quality $9.99 wallyworld speakers and an old beat to hell radio I had to have it cranked up all the way to try to hear it going down the highway. Now with a blingity new stereo I can crank it up half way and hear it fine hauling down the road with the dump open. Also has better bass to loosen up the rust
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

ishbo03
    yea i would replace the head unit first as well. with a decent one, you will be able to get around 50x4 watts max to each speaker which is alot better than what the stock radio can put out. then once u get tired or blow the stock speakers, u can replace those with some aftermarket ones. i bought a panasonic head unit from crutchfield that has lasted me 6 years with no problems yet. i also replaced all my stock speakers with polk audio also from crutchfield. they arent the best but crutchfield had a buy one get one free deal going so i did it and havent had any problems yet.

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    just like everything else it depends on how bread ur willing to spend, for the money pioneer and infinity are good component speakers and u should use a 400x4 amp and thats gonna be all the mids and highs u can handle, now as for subs the JL w3 is ur best bet and run like 500w to that and ur truck willl sound badass
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

ill be your pickup man
    400w x 4?? Damn I can not find an amp more than 125x4

I just bought a head unit out of a Lariat, so it has mp3 and 6 disc. I'll replace the head unit eventually, but if I was looking for an amp for the speakers, preferably small in size and self cooled, what might I look for?

I like Infinity. They have a 111w x4 and a 56w x4 for $300-400

JL has a 75x4. Does JL make quality amps?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    JL amps are the best in my eyes, also PPI and Pheonix Gold JL makes a 400x4 so does mtx and kicker
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

ishbo03
    i have a precision power 4x80 and am happy with it so far. as for the subs, i just bought the new jl audio 12w1v2, it is a higher end w0 and it slams really hard. i have 2 in a single cab chevy with a 320 watt amp and its all i need.

just get a decent 4 channel amp (25~30watt per channel). you may pull the speakers and take a look at the ohm rating. I know GM's Bose systems have whacked out ohm ratings. Some are in the neighborhood of 32 ohms. Don't have any experience w/ ford stuff. Make sure the amp has a built in crossover. This will go a long way if you can control the gain and the frequencies going to the speakers. You then can get that clean sound at high volume levels. Also check out the amps Thd rating. the lower the better..cleaner sound. You want to look at RMS ratings as well. Peak watts are just that, Peak.
    I have an Alpine V12 amp in my suburban that was in it when I bought it. Seems to be a pretty high-end amp. I think it is around 75 watts per channel. I have JL audio 6.5" drivers in the rear door w/ crossovers and component JL's in the front doors. Some kind of Kenwood MP3 head unit. It thumps pretty good for only having 6.5" speakers, even better now that I tuned it. I believe the guy before had a sub and was filtering out all the lows. This will all change when I Daisy chain another Alpine amp w/ the 10" Infinity sub I just bought. They are on sale at Crutchfiled for 59 bucks. What to ya'll see my kickass sub box made from 3/4" solid core Red Oak Veneer Plywood. The joys and perks of working in the hardwood business.
    To some up my advice:
    Buy a 4 channel amp and speakers to replace the the OEMS. Speakers are cheap for the upgrade in sound vs. dollar

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Name:  speakers.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  41.4 KB

bought some bang for the whip down at the local stereo shop

whats a good amp to use with these? Factory dead head receiver

I needed some 4s the other day ago and couldn't find any, made some 4x6s fit.

Looks like they're rated for 35 watts RMS. I would find a name brand amp that is 25x4 RMS and has high level inputs. You going to add a sub too?
    Last edited by eight; 08-23-2011 at 03:09 PM.

already got a sub and amp. RF Punch 300 and Blaunpunk 12"
    Last edited by robertf03; 08-23-2011 at 03:15 PM.