Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Stereo Advice

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Flem, I have a JBL amp that would probably be perfect for those. Its yours if you want it.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Sweet. Think Shawn would do a disco headliner?

What's next? Dubs?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Yes, I'm sure he would....if you take it out first. I doubt he wants to disassemble a rover.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Chief
    You'd be wasting your money buying an amp for those speakers. 35 rms isnt a lot of power, and most aftermarket head units will put out at least 30 rms. Save the coin, and just run the 4's off the head unit. If you havent bought a head unit yet, try to find one with a preout for the sub so you can hook up your amp/sub combo easily. This will also give you better sound quality overall.

I like JBL a lot, I'm ordering some of their marine speakers for the bronco soon.
    2010 VW Jetta - DD, 5 Banger, 5 Speed, 1000 Watts of sound!!
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

is a dead head unit. It needs a 4 channel amp anyway.

I've got a ****ty amped head unit in there now with the preamps out to the punch, but the factory one should be getting here soon from the rebuilder and rather than going to pick and pull and getting a factory LR amp that uses common grounds for the speakers I'd rather put something ethnic in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    What's next? Dubs?
    can't find any steel twinkies in 5 on 6.5

Check Rent-A-Rim
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Pocket View Post
    You'd be wasting your money buying an amp for those speakers. 35 rms isnt a lot of power, and most aftermarket head units will put out at least 30 rms. Save the coin, and just run the 4's off the head unit . . . This will also give you better sound quality overall.
    Slow down there turbo.

Flem has already explained why he needs an amp, but I feel compelled to clear the air a little further.

1 - Most aftermarket head units don't push 30 watts RMS. I would be impressed with 20, seems 14-18 is the norm.

2 - You want to run the maximum rms wattage possible to those little guys, with as litttle THD as possible, which an amp will always do better. Distortion is their biggest enemy.

3 - Funny that you reccomend a preout for sound quality, but discount the dedicated amp.

4 - 35 watts RMS is more power than most folks realize. Blame 1000 watt amps running at 1 ohm or less or THD greater than 1% with SN ratios in the 70s.

5 - The crossover on an amp will be much better (12-24 db/octave) than whatever is built in to a headunit or inline bass blockers will provide. Again, vital on a small speaker.

6 - Lastly, don't forget to pay attention to the input test voltage on equipment. Most have moved to 14.4, which is greater than what your car will be producing normally.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    If you dont grab freds amp, call lance and tell him he owes you one.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

get lances and i take freds!
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Registered User NealtheDestroyr's Avatar
    Ive got a 300w amp if anyone wants it
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms." — Robert Heinlein

I want it. Won't be making it up to Bryan though. Somehow I ended up with lots of subs and no amps, would like to put one in the dodge again.

I have a kicker 25i in the jeep. It is 25x2 RMS. I have had aftermarket stereos that claim greater power but none are as loud or sound as good.

Back in the day I had a Punch 150HD. Then a 300 watt Linear. When tested they both put out about 4 times their rating. Been thinking of asking Flem to fix the Linear.

Quote Originally Posted by eight View Post
    Back in the day I had a Punch 150HD. Then a 300 watt Linear. When tested they both put out about 4 times their rating. Been thinking of asking Flem to fix the Linear.
    bad idea, while reading this I thought to myself "what the hell is a linear"

besides, I don't shine shoes no more

now I've got the headliner out to get the whale foreskin applied and I'm thinking that while I'm at it I should add an XM antenna. Do any stores have those, or is that internet mail order only stuff?

The sea shepherds have really ****ed the whale foreskin market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.