Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coolant/Oil Bypass Filters

Coolant/Oil Bypass Filters

Well, I got some extra filtration ideas from TheDieselStop forum and I decided to install bypass oil and coolant filters. I just changed the bypass oil filter after 5500 miles and there was definitely some sludge on the outside of it so I know it is catching some crap. I also sent a sample of my Mobil Delvac 1 off to be analyzed. People run extended drain intervals when they have these oil bypass filters so I'm going to see how long it will be ok to run my oil (especially since it is so expensive) while changing the filters at 5k intervals.

Oil Bypass Filter
    This filter catches particles down below 5 microns. I believe stock filters are somewhere in the teens. This is made possible since the filter is not an inline one like the stock filter, therefore low flow is ok. Most of the oil is routed through the inline filter, but some of it goes through the bypass filter for further filtration.

Distrubutor: Oilguard.com
    Part Number: EPS-20
    Price: $200

Oil supply and return:

Filter and housing. The housing is thick!

Coolant Filter:
    I just installed this on Wednesday along with replacing all of the radiator hoses and coolant. It is also a bypass filter, running in parallel with the heater core, and fed by heater hoses. The filters come dry or precharged with SCA. I had to make the bracket to mount it. I also had the 3/8" inlet and outlet on the filter mount tapped to 1/2" to reduce the length of the plumbing. This was done for free by a machinist friend.

Parts:
    1. Filter Mount: PN 427446C1 from Hogan's Trucks $26.25
    2. Filter: PN WF2071 from Hogan's Trucks $10.17
    3. Brass Tee (2): 1/2" Tee from Valley Valve and Supply $3.67
    4. Brass Barbed Hose Fittings (4): 1/2" thread 5/8" hose from Bryan Hose and Gasket 2.29
    5. Hose Clamps (4): 5/8" from Valley Valve $0.71
    6. Brass Nipple (2): 1/2" from Valley Valve $1.42

Total Cost: $59.79

Last edited by Chadnutz; 04-07-2005 at 04:29 PM.

i hope you really didn't intend on mounting the filter on the frame like that
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007
    I had the same thought. From that view it seems vulnerable to rocks and other road debris as well to any off-road travel. I know you don't "wheel" your truck but it is 4wd and probably sees some off-road use whether it be getting to your favorite fishing hole or driving around on a deer lease/ ranch.
    I don't "wheel" my burb, but the 4wd definitely gets used. If I were to do either of the two things (and I do regularly) I would be hesitant if I had an oil filter hanging below the frame rail as you do.
    Is there not enough room to mount it on a fender well or front radiator support? firewall?
    my .02

AgDieseler
    There's a lot more clearance than one might think after seeing that picture. The picture is a little deceiving.

Unless I high center, nothing is going to happen to that filter housing. It is 1/4" thick, so it would take throwing a serious rock at it to break it. The filter element goes inside that chunk of metal. There was no other place to put it given it's size. It is higher than the t-case and I have never hit that before...

i woulding be worried about it getting a hole in it but it getting caught on a rock and destroying the filter/ ripping the thing appart, I am sure the filter is not made to survive rock hits
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

That's why I didn't put one on the Mazda...

i woulding be worried about it getting a hole in it but it getting caught on a rock and destroying the filter/ ripping the thing appart, I am sure the filter is not made to survive rock hits
    I think you're over reacting a bit. He doesnt really wheel this thing. It's mainly driven on the street, so it may as well be a really tall Honda civic. The gas tank on my truck hangs down lower then that, I'm pretty sure there isnt a scratch on it, and I'm sure it does just as much ranch driving etc, as chadnutz truck does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

dammit jerry, you are supposed to rip on chadnutz, that is the rule.
    Check this out, Your filter is dumb.
    Was that so hard Jerry? Jesus tits, move up north and turn soft. "Make mine a manhattan Barkeep."
    Is it common for diesel guys to send out their oil for inspection? There was a place to send out oil when I worked at the airport, but we never sent any in. We always cut open and inspected the filter, but never sent out anything.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

I'm just trying to stay away from ripping on Chadnutz just for the sake of ripping on Chadnutz.

On a side note, drama in the office, secretary didnt get a raise, burst into tears, cussed out boss and stormed out. Awesome.

Kumbaya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    Is it common for diesel guys to send out their oil for inspection?
    at bus-ops we send off samples of oil and tranny at every oil change(~3/year) and coolant samples every year. And that is per bus...thats about 600 samples a year.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

AgDieseler
    Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    Is it common for diesel guys to send out their oil for inspection?
    It's usually done when people are initially setting up oil systems for extended drain intervals, and they need to figure our when it's time to change the oil. Otherwise, it's done every 100,000 miles or so to see if things are holding together in the motor when compared to an engine's first oil analysis.

I just change my oil and filter every 3000 and call it good.

I did it when the oil change light came on in Melba since the Chebby's actually monitor your driving style and conditions and tell you when to change it. Now in the toyody, every 8-10,000, but I use mobil 1
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

I think this looks pretty good. I was hoping they would give me an oil change interval. I'll post up on TDS and see what people who know anything about these numbers say.

Numbers are in PPM btw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by AgDieseler
    It's usually done when people are initially setting up oil systems for extended drain intervals, and they need to figure our when it's time to change the oil. Otherwise, it's done every 100,000 miles or so to see if things are holding together in the motor when compared to an engine's first oil analysis.

I just change my oil and filter every 3000 and call it good.
    Oil and filiter every 5000 miles and be done with it.