Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Acetone!

BeachJeepin

Sweet Acetone!

After hearing about Wingfield's $80 fill up today, I thought I'd share my newest experiment:

1 oz. acetone for every 5 gallons of gas. Guys have been getting about 4-10 mpg better when doing this... I'm giving it a shot. If anything, my engine will get cleaned. Bought my quart of acetone at Wally-world, and so far, I've noticed that my acceleration is a lot smoother, and my idle speed is lower. So far, so good. I'll keep everyone updated. Right now I'm getting 14 mpg.

Some people are concerned about acetone eating your rubber hoses and stuff, but its only 1/600 of the capacity of my tank, nothing to worry about. Others have been doing it for years, with great success.

I've been trying to come up with plans, since last year, to add hydrogen gas to my air intake (I know, I know), using the electrolysis of water. I've done tons of research. And looks like pretty plausible. One possible problem is that hydrogen does have affects on engine blocks. There has been signs of brittleness occuring on the inside of the combustion chamber. Anyway, just ideas right now......

Here's the forum link i've been watching about acetone:
    http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51453

the hydrogen thing sounds pretty cool. I think it would work pretty well if you added the hydrogen and the oxygen both to the intake, for better combustion and more fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

stinger7401
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007
    the hydrogen thing sounds pretty cool. I think it would work pretty well if you added the hydrogen and the oxygen both to the intake, for better combustion and more fuel
    i think if you add two parts oxygen and one part hydrogen in large quanities to your air fuel mix i hear that produces enough power to bend rods! Who wants to try it, i have a bottle of the mix right now but ill let you pour it down the intake

Nick the correct ratio is 2 parts hydrogen to one part oxygen. If he did like you said it'd run too lean and burn holes in pistons and valves and such.

I read about the whole acetone thing on pirate and even though no one has really had any problems with it, my motor cost just a tad too much to pour that stuff down it. Even though it is diluted a bunch it still is some pretty strong stuff. You can water down arsenic but I'm sure it will still kick your ass eventually. Just make sure not to spill it when you’re dumping it in your tank
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

True Hollywood Stry
    someone explain why acetone would help you get better mileage? and in kinda lamens terms if you please.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    allows the excess fuel to vaporize which in turn allows u use it all up rather then wasting it, thus better gas milage

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

BeachJeepin
    okay well basically the acetone reduces surface tension when mixed with gasoline, so that you come closer to completely burning all the fuel used in each chamber. The more you burn efficiently, the more power you get and the better gas mileage.

The cleaning component of the STP crap is made of acetone. So you are also cleaning the inside of you engine while doing this. No one has ever has problems with it messing up their engine...

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler
    someone explain why acetone would help you get better mileage? and in kinda lamens terms if you please.
    it doesn't

Seems a little "too good to be true." I'm wondering about long term effects on engine components. The guy in the article on PESW said he was soaking parts in acetone solution, and the parts were fine. But that's not what's happenning in an engine, they're not soaking in liquid they're being "burned" by the ignited liquid. Seems like by making the fuel burn easier it would be theoretcially reducing the octane rating, making detonation more possible.

Just some thoughts....
    BDR

why wouldn't gas companies do this and charge a premium for a different grade of gas? Why wouldn't the government force companies to do this?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

BeachJeepin
    They do use acetone to up the octane rating... My research has shown me that people have made devices to increase mileage significantly, but they've never made it out to production, because the patents were bought out by, guess who, oil companies....

There's nothing wrong with the experiment. The guy was just trying to see what effect it has on rubber fuel lines. Soaking it is the most extreme abuse the fuel line would ever see. So if the acetone barely does anything to the lines when it is soaked in it, what could it do it acetone is merely traveling down the line for a couple of seconds, then washed away by gas?

So far, no one has seen any damage when they took apart there engine. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, though.

This is why it is crucial to have the right mixture... If you put more than 1 oz. per 5 gallons, it WILL lower the octane rating.

All I know is that people have proven that it works, and I can tell a difference, so why not believe it? It does work from a scientific standpoint.....

I think we should all not buy gas on April 27th - that'll show 'em
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

True Hollywood Stry
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    I think we should all not buy gas on April 27th - that'll show 'em

oh geez not this again!!!!!!
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

You have to fill up a bunch of jerry cans so you can go a whole week without filling up. That way they have to drop the price 20cents a day
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's