Thread: Beer Tap

BeachJeepin

Beer Tap

Alright I don't feel like paying $30 for one on Ebay...And I know ya'll have tons of these... I want to stick one on my shifter... 10mm thread, can't be longer than 12" cuz it'll hit my steering wheel. Anything would be awesome... Thanks in advance..

True Hollywood Stry
    you might wanna watch it i think coop was bending his shifter with one of those.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

A cruiser guy I know had a shiner one and he would bend his shifter untill the the tap finally broke.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

BeachJeepin
    is it just cuz of leverage?

Quote Originally Posted by BeachJeepin
    is it just cuz of leverage?
    Actually its simple chemistry/metallurgy.

In general, the fittings on beer taps are brass and the shifter is steel. Due to the heat that travels up shifter, a chemical reaction occurs. The brass drops a copper atom and exchanges it for a carbon. Thus the shifter is actually becoming a crude form of brass. And we know about the malleability of brass.

Since the taps have essentially been bathed in beer, which contains CO2, CO2 acts as a catalyst in the reaction and enhances the process. I have read that Guinness taps do not do it as bad, since Guinness contains Nitrogen instead of CO2. The oil in hands does not but help the problem as well.

Two solutions for the problem. Bath the tap in cran-apple juice, as the acid in the juice decreases the reactivity of brass. or wrap a small amount of aluminum foil around the part where brass and steel meet. THis is a better solution, because the foil will act as a sacraficial anode and pick up the copper thus not weakening the steel. I have read also that you could create a "ground wire" from the brass part of the shifter to your radio antenna, but have not seen any posted results.

This concludes our chemistry lesson, any questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Shaggy
    hu?

how about anti-sieze?
    I think it's really due to leverage
    Guinness on tap is SUPPOSED to be nitrogen-fed, but is usually just CO2
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

stinger7401
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams

In general, the fittings on beer taps are brass and the shifter is steel. Due to the heat that travels up shifter, a chemical reaction occurs. The brass drops a copper atom and exchanges it for a carbon. Thus the shifter is actually becoming a crude form of brass. And we know about the malleability of brass.

Since the taps have essentially been bathed in beer, which contains CO2, CO2 acts as a catalyst in the reaction and enhances the process. I have read that Guinness taps do not do it as bad, since Guinness contains Nitrogen instead of CO2. The oil in hands does not but help the problem as well.

Two solutions for the problem. Bath the tap in cran-apple juice, as the acid in the juice decreases the reactivity of brass. or wrap a small amount of aluminum foil around the part where brass and steel meet. THis is a better solution, because the foil will act as a sacraficial anode and pick up the copper thus not weakening the steel. I have read also that you could create a "ground wire" from the brass part of the shifter to your radio antenna, but have not seen any posted results.

jerry.......get a job

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    how about anti-sieze?
    I think it's really due to leverage
    Guinness on tap is SUPPOSED to be nitrogen-fed, but is usually just CO2
    You doubt me????

I took freshman chemistry twice, i think i know a thing or two.
    So you loose, I win!

BeachJeepin
    okay okay, but does no one have a beer tap that they don't want?

Shaggy
    i could look... i might... but i think i gave them all to austin so who knows... they were all shlitz

Quote Originally Posted by BeachJeepin
    okay okay, but does no one have a beer tap that they don't want?
    You gotta look for the right brands.....

schlitz, keystone, red dog, etc. those are prob cheaper.
    So you loose, I win!

Shaggy
    actually keystone are pretty high.. people will spend a little extra on a tap that shows that they buy cheap beer... i got one back in highschool and keystone stuff was up there with miller shiner and all the others

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams

From what I can tell Jerry has less to do than me, and that is ridiculous...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    From what I can tell Jerry has less to do than me, and that is ridiculous...
    I woke up too early this morning and i was bored.....just thought I'd pass on the knowledge.
    So you loose, I win!