Thread: 14 ff

14 ff

getting ready to get gears and bearings for my 14 ff. what else do I need to do? seals? any thing in the hubs? thinking about 456s. I need the thick gears right? thanks for any help. just trying to do everything while its apart!
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9
    1983 Waggy

Ok looky here. The bearings you have are probably ok but I would replace them anyway, they're not terribly expensive. Deffinately replace the hub seals, they are only $5 apiece. Clean up the seal surface while you're at it, dont want leaks. If it leaks, get a speedy sleeve. Expensive, yes, but they work. If you are doing 4.56's and you have a 4.10 and numerically lower carrier, then yes you need the thick gears. If you have the carrier from a CUCV or something else that came with 4.56 or numerically higher gears from the factory, you need the normal gears. Normal gears in numerically higher ratios are a ***** to find BTW. In case you're not already, do disk brakes. Cheap and easy. That is all for now.
    Last edited by afroman006; 04-22-2005 at 11:54 PM.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

So, anybody know what the hot setup is for disc brakes with a parking brake? Besides putting a brake on the t-case.

You can get 4.88s for a carrier that has 4.10s on it?

i didnt go with the ebrake calipers-just rely on heavy foot!

going with 456 thick had 4.10
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Ok looky here...In case you're not already, do dick brakes. Cheap and easy. That is all for now.
    Freudian slip?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    Freudian slip?
    Didnt even notice that when I read through it. Guess we know what he's thinking about
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Guess I should proof read from now on. Kopecki, people use the calipers from a 77-79 Cadillac Eldorado because they will bolt in place of the normal chevy front calipers and have the ebrake. They cost about 4 times more than the chevy calipers though.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

i got mine from a junk yard and then just used those ase cores. Didn't cost much at all.

Hey Spears you used the caddy calipers? They working good for you? I've been reading in the interweb that people aren't likeing them. If they can stop your scout decently, I'm sure they'll do fine on a little yj.

AgDieseler
    They can stop the truck fine, but it's usually the parking brake that won't hold. Year ago, we had these on my Mom's 81 Seville, and it didn't even work right then. Caddy calipers just don't seem to be the ticket for trucks.

Thats about the same what I hear from the guys doing the TSM rear disc conversion. Brakes are good but the parking brake is no bueno.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

when Brandon says he got some that is exactly what he meant, he bought some. I have heard the parking brake sucks on them. If you need bearings, seals, or speedi sleeves give me a call here at Purvis, I need part numbers for the bearings though so do your research, the speedi sleeve I can figure out from the seal.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

aggiemudman
    what kind of prices do you have there compared to auto part stores? and what kind of warranty on ur bearings, and brand? im in need of all new wheel bearings for my 14ff

ive reallly only looked at 4wp and i think the MIK was around 120???? prob genuine
    havent gotten anything ordered yet-no money!!
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    1983 Waggy