Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ford D60 Crossover Steering Advice

ill be your pickup man

Ford D60 Crossover Steering Advice

I should have built beefy steering to begin with, but decided on the stock stuff. Katemcy had its way with the steering and I now need to upgrade. Problem is the balljoint front 60, so crossover steering becomes a little more difficult. The only option I have found is the ORU knuckle seen in the pic, but it is $750.

Making the tie rod should be simple, but I'm lost on how to hook up a drag link. I know how Austin did it on his 44, but I am running leafs, so the angle of the d-link would be too drastic, and I would prefer the d-link to go atop the leaf.

ANy suggestions, aside of welding an upside down pitman arm to the knuckle "Xtreme" style?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

A guy here in Corpus did a SAS on a 98ish Chevy with a balljoint D60 and that ORU knuckle ended up being his only option for crossover. You send a core knuckle to them and they send you one of their back. The drag link went over the leaf springs like you want, too...

You might look around to see what Dynatrac does on their front 60s. Most of the ones they sell are balljoint axles so they may make or use something comparable to that ORU knuckle.

Couldn't you just use a big drop pitman arm? Skyjacker makes an 8" drop arm for superdutys. A little hack saw spline cutting is required to fit either a superduty or 95 bronco arm to a jeep box, so it should be no more work than that to make the superduty arm fit.

True Hollywood Stry
    cj is running the welded pitman arm to the knuckle on his jeep, i would try this or kopecki's idea cause it is alot cheaper than those new knuckles.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

A guy who does not offroad his jacked up dodge had a welded on steering arm and it fell off once, and cracked 2 more times. Last I talked to him the truck was parked and he was trying to convince himself to spend the big money and do it right. It was done by a "professional offroad shop" that's done many others.

True Hollywood Stry
    ok well then maybe i shall shut up now cause you sure dont want it falling off at a crucial point.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Ben97XJ
    Kopecki are you talking about the Big red dodge? He came too the meeting one time and was in one of my classes. He said it broke and luckily he ran into a ditch on a country road. But he alo drives around in 4-Low with no front drive shaft.

Yep. I had forgotten about the driving in 4low thing.

usmcagg02
    why the **** would he drive around in 4low?

because w/ 44s and stock gearing you have to drive in 4lo to go anywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

usmcagg02
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007
    because w/ 44s and stock gearing you have to drive in 4lo to go anywhere
    not enough torque to get moving, is what i'm assuming you're implying?

Shaggy
    i am gonna try and run my steering with a drop pitman arm... i havent really looked at it to see how it will clear the leafs... but hopefull you will have found my solution for me without spending the big bucks

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    that dodge lives in my complx he has it in the shop right he blow the slip yoke and the steering knuckle he finally decided to but beefer axles in so he is going with an 80 in the rear and a 60 in the front with 5.12's
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Shaggy
    Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55
    that dodge lives in my complx he has it in the shop right he blow the slip yoke and the steering knuckle he finally decided to but beefer axles in so he is going with an 80 in the rear and a 60 in the front with 5.12's

could someone translate this jibberish for me

Yah I dont speak Boomhauer either.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"