Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Relocating Axle

TRDyota

Relocating Axle

I need to bump my rear axle forward a little (~3/4"). Sky-manufacturing makes some blocks (below) that could work. They cost $22, but they would be super easy to make on my own. Plus, I think theirs might be too thick. My center pins only stick out by about 3/16", so I might could get by with something .25" thick.

I've never had to use anything like this, so I'm assuming that they just weld to the axle? And, how is it going to effect my u-bolts? Cause the "flattest" part of the spring would no longer be centered.

Thoughts?

I think this would be way easier than messing around with re-drilling the front spring hangers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would just put an extra hole in your spring perches and ubolt plates. I have my front axle set up like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

TRDyota
    That would work, and it would be cheaper. Seems like it would be kinda hard to get a drill up in there though.

if those would work. i would by those for only $22. wouldn't be worth my effort me being such a high paid wood consultant and all.

Welcome to the working world of the gainfully employed (time vs. money)
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

you gotta take off the ubolts and pull the axle from the spring anyway to install them...how much extra effort is it to drop the axle a little farther so you can fit a drill in between them?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

TRDyota
    Its a lot of drop. Whatever the height of the drill and bit is. The axle is limited in how far it can move because the wiring to the locker does not have a lot of slack in it. Its possible...just very cumbersome.
    Last edited by TRDyota; 05-06-2005 at 09:24 AM.

there's not something you can unplug?
    you can also put a jack on the spring itself to make it stuff while you drop the axle

Ferfawkssake it's $22. Buy 'em and be done with it.

They should bolt to the spring pack.

TRDyota
    I think it will work, without stuffing the spring. Worst-case, I'm sure there is something I can unplug. Do you have a power drill at your place? I'm looking to fix all this when I get back from NY in 9 DAYS!!! I won't be back in College Station till June, for class. So can I invite myself over and mooch of your tools? I'll buy you some lunch or something. I'd buy ya beverages, but I'm only 20.

TRDyota
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    Ferfawkssake it's $22. Buy 'em and be done with it.

They should bolt to the spring pack.
    Two things:

1) Its not the money. 22 bucks ain't bad. Its just that the rear of my truck sits up high enough already. Like Eric said, if I gotta separate the springs from the axle anyways, I might as well lean on a drill and make a new hole.

2) Would they even need to bolt into the spring pack? I've never seen these used before, but it looks like you'd just slip it between the axle and the spring, and slip the U-bolts over it.

Wait, maybe that's what you meant by "bolt to the spring pack". I was thinking that maybe you meant bolt IN the spring pack. Which is it?

I don't have any experience with those units, but ORD makes a similar item that moves the axle 1.5" off center, either forward or backward depending on installation. The centerpin of the pack runs through the block, for lack of a better term, bolting it to the pack. These, however, may not.

They don't need to bolt to the pack, they could easily be sandwiched between axle and spring. Most items like this (shims, the aforementioned ORD zero rates, etc.) are secured some other way, however. You'd be surprised how much something like this can wander around if not secured.

Roger brown makes these as well...he will drill them either way (so they bolt to the pack or not)
    http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...elocationPlate
    But I should be back in town next sunday maybe (the 15th?) and could help you out.

TRDyota
    Ok, this sounds good. Now I just need to double check exactly how far I need to move the axle.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Is this quing to put some weird stress on the axle or U-bolts that I should be aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by TRDyota
    Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Is this quing to put some weird stress on the axle or U-bolts that I should be aware of?
    Worst thing it can do is help your pinion angle a bit.
    Make like a tennis shoe...