Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: !New Improved! "Last Minute" buildup thread

True Hollywood Stry
    bdr randys r&P had dana 44 thick gear sets for like 150 new that doesnt seem to bad to me.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006 View Post
    \Chevy didnt start using VSS until 1991 so you might be able to use a different puter.
    my blazer is a 90 and it has vss, after i swapped the transfer case out i havent figured out a way to plug it back in, because of this my transmission doesnt shift right(it holds first and second gear to long and i dont think i have ever made it to third), other than that every thing seems to work find

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    bdr randys r&P had dana 44 thick gear sets for like 150 new that doesnt seem to bad to me.
    Ya, the USA Standard brand. I haven't found much information anywhere about them. The information I have found sounds like they are hit or miss. I'd like to go with the Yukons since they've been pretty reliable all around, but a set of those from Randy's is $219.
    BDR

Ok, change of direction.

Karl delivered a sweet piece of Klogger history yesterday...the Ford 9". Plans are to narrow it to 57" wms, swap to 4.56 gears, weld it, and some sort of disk brakes. I'll need an e-brake, so I'm thinking since I already have the d44 disk parts I might see about making an adapter bracket. If they won't work I may look more into the Ford 8.8 disk brake swap. I can do that when I narrow it because the 8.8 brackets supposedly require the Torino ends.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mudtoy67; 02-02-2009 at 08:27 PM.
    BDR

Built the shackle hangers this weekend. Picked up the sleeves and bushings from Coop and Scott on saturday. I kinda messed up cause I made the hangers centered, and after I had already drilled the holes for the sleeve remembered they need to be offset. I'll just trim the end off that hangs past the bumper. Also had to make a couple extra trips to Lowes. I drove out there when I realized that the YJ bushings take 9/16" bolts. Came back and got to working, then realized I need a 9/16" drill bit to make 9/16" holes for 9/16" bolts through the shackles...so I went back.

I'm not sure about the shackle angle. I figured since I'm using the stock springs, I should mount the hangers the same distance apart. At that distance the shackle seemed like it leaned too far forward, so I moved the hanger 1" closer. What do yall think?

I also finished the caps on the backside of the bumper.

BDR

Spring hangers done. I'll make some nicer shackles once I get it back on its wheels and figure out how long they need to be.

BDR

Almost done shaving the front axle. I used the "bucket method" pointed out in the ford 9" thread to mark the housing.

With some cleaning up and the old drain plug hole filled.

3/8" plate for the new skid. I don't think I'm gaining a whole lot of clearance, but the skid will be nice for sliding over rocks. Looking back, I don't think I should have extended the cut into the front cover, but should have stopped where the cover meets the housing. It's going to be a bit difficult to get a nice transition from the cover to the plate without a lip. Should be ok though.

Last edited by mudtoy67; 04-19-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    BDR

super nice work! Should be easy to drag onto the trailer next time you have to move all your crap
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Finally an update!

Skid welded in

I picked up some ring gear armor. It was made for the 8" pickup axle but with a little massaging fit just right. Butting it up to the skid also smooths out the transition.

Guard tacked up

I had to make some small filler plates at the corners of the skid

Everything welded up and smoothed out

BDR

Picked up a Marlin knuckle gusset kit. The upper one seems a bit overkill but it also serves as the shock mount.

Lower tacked up

Upper tacked up

All welded up. I left the end of the upper near the knuckle bearing unwelded because it will probably need to be ground some to clear the knuckle felts/wipers.

I decided to relocate the fill plug a little higher. With the pinion rotated up I lose a bit of oil capacity. I started to put it near the top of the cover where it would face up but decided not to. For one the high steer would be in the way when I go to fill it, also I would need to make some sort of dipstick to check the oil level. I used a Ballistic weld in bung.

I cut the old plug out with a hole saw then filled it

New bung installed

You can see the difference from the inside

BDR

Looks good! I need some shackles also.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Couple more pics of everything cleaned up

This should be it for the fab work on the front axle. Only thing left to do will be to fab up a truss/brackets to mount the hydro assist. I probably won't do that till later in the build.

I've got about 99% of the parts I need to put this axle back together. I need to source some hardware for the steering arms. I need to start cleaning things up for assembly...somehow I've got to figure out how to make an axle out of all this crap...

I've also been working on the Ford 9" swap. I was going to use the housing I originally picked up, but after cleaning it up a bit found a lot of pitting. I feel if I'm putting so much time into this thing I should get a housing that doesn't look all pitted after it's cleaned up and painted. I've been through a couple other housings since then that just didn't work out...seems I've got a bit of a Ford 9 graveyard going.

BDR

looks like you need to put the potting soil down and get to work
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Picked up the last of the hardware for the steering arms yesterday. Still gotta pick up some moly grease, a few wheel studs, and some ospho. Got the day off Friday...should have a complete axle by Sunday!
    BDR