Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: !New Improved! "Last Minute" buildup thread

Finished the cut and turn today...except for re-welding the knuckles. The pinion angle was set whenever the axle was converted to SOA, so all I have to worry about is the caster angle. It's not really going to see much street time, so I didn't get too picky with the caster angle and did everything on the bench. I started by grinding off all the crap in the way. Removed the steering stops, shock mounts, and brake line tabs. I then ground the old knuckle weld smooth, then ground a groove in the tube just on the differential side of the weld.

I figured my spring perches should be pretty close to level when the axle is installed, so I set my perches to zero.

From what I've seen, most people have been aiming for 4-6 degrees negative caster. I ended up with about 4.5 degrees.

You can see below the difference between the original angle and the new angle. I also made a mark near the cut to show how far it was turned.

I still need to burn them in, but after testing my little 130amp HF welder, I decided it wasn't up to the job and I'll have to borrow someone else's.
    BDR

Damn, you had to make a helluva cut. How easy was it to break that knuckle ball loose?

Well, you're the second person to mention that. I didn't think it was that big of groove. It's only about 5/16" at the outside...a little less at the bottom. The knuckle itself was pretty easy to turn after it was broken loose. I ratchet strapped it to the FJ frame, then put an old axle shaft through the knuckle and turned it.

BDR

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Who does your manicures???
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

BDR if you dont get it welded up by the time the Decade party comes around (which, judging by the pace you work, you wont ) you can bring it to CS and use my MM210 to get r' dun.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

the cool kids on pirate like to drill a couple of holes in the housing for plug welds, you gonna do that?
    Looks good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH View Post
    Who does your manicures???
    I do them myself when I have a little wine and I'm feeling sassy.

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006 View Post
    BDR if you dont get it welded up by the time the Decade party comes around (which, judging by the pace you work, you wont ) you can bring it to CS and use my MM210 to get r' dun.
    I might take you up on that if I end up making it out there. That weekend is CDRs birthday....the terms of making the trip are still in negotiations and I really can't comment on it until a final settlement is made.

I did a little research late last night and found that the flux core wire I'm using, E71T-11, is made for DC- current. According to a manual I found online my welder is currently set for DC+. I'm pretty sure I can just swap the connections inside the welder and I'll see if it does any better.

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    the cool kids on pirate like to drill a couple of holes in the housing for plug welds, you gonna do that?
    Looks good!

I haven't seen anyone do that (not in the cruiser section anyway), though it's probably a good idea.
    BDR

in the yota section I think it was "project blu" that they did like the "ultimate" toyota axle build. You might want to get/make some of those ball gussets while you're at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I didnt know you were vietnamese....
    'Cause if she don't,

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    in the yota section I think it was "project blu" that they did like the "ultimate" toyota axle build. You might want to get/make some of those ball gussets while you're at it.
    Ya, I'm planning on making some gussets. I'm also looking at trussing the diff, but I'll wait until I get the hydro assist stuff so I can incorporate the ram mount into it. Gonna shave the diff too. After all that the axle is probably gonna come out looking like a banana.
    BDR

Nothing to see here, just parts documentation...

Isuzu Dana 44
    bearing retainer 36797
    axle seal 18731
    Timken- Set No. 10 = U399 cone + U360L cup + K426898 collar
    Last edited by mudtoy67; 05-19-2009 at 09:23 PM.
    BDR

Got the knuckles welded up this morning. Made a root pass along the inside edge of the groove, then filled the outer edge. Used a friend's 180amp Hobart...made a much better weld than my little 130A.

BDR

looks good
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

needs more penetration....

'Cause if she don't,

Well crap.

My new to me Marlin Crawler hysteer arms came in today. I was pretty pumped about getting them, but then I open the box and find this.

I don't have a problem with them being dirty, I wouldn't totally be surprised about that in a used part. The problem is the hole for the drag link is completely wallowed out. The guy never said anything about there being any damage to these arms. Unfortunately, I never thought to ask for pics. I sent him a PM on Mud...we'll see what he comes up with to remedy this problem.

I don't see how these could be used with tre's anymore without some major work. I guess they could be drilled out, then press/weld a sleeve in and re-taper the hole. Or just taper the hole bigger and hope that a 1ton tre would fit. Either way it's not right. Only other thing I could think of doing would be to drill a straight hole and run a heim on the drag link, but I wasn't wanting to run heims on the steering, plus I'd have to drill out all the holes to make all the rod ends match.

BDR