Thread: New Shoes?

AgDieseler

New Shoes?

I'm making the switch to 37s over this summer, but I'm still undecided on which brand.

I got my H2 wheels (17x8.5), so I'm in the market for wheels that will fit. Requirements include: it must be a radial, have a road hazard warranty, at least a D load range, and I want to get some miles out of them. The wear baseline is set by my current set of 35s, which have about 15,000 miles on them with easily 90% tread left.

I like my BFG ATS, but I have wanted for something more aggressive as they don't clean well at all. MTs seem like a logical next step. I have also considered Goodyear MTRs as they have a nice pattern, good price, but I have heard nothing positive about their longevity.

Most of you guys know my driving habits, and I welcome any input.
    Last edited by AgDieseler; 05-29-2005 at 11:14 AM.

Don't know much about BFG M/T 37s, but my 35s had well over 40,000 when I took them off. With your grandpa driving habits they outta last pretty long. I've heard the compound is too soft on the MTRs, causing them to have a shorter life, but they grip a lot better offroad. I also heard someone talking about the have a more punture resistant sidewall than the BFG.

Jumping on the H2 bandwagon, eh?
    BDR

73bronco
    I've got around 15,000 miles on my MTR and I'm totally happy with how they wear, but then again my truck is alot lighter than a burban

What BDR said...didn't know he could be right. Someone give him a cookie
    On a beast like your burb your going to get more life out of the BFGs. I just don't know how much they run compared to a 37 MTR. I was a BFG guy but now am sold on the MTRs for the rocks...they grip like a sonofa.
    BFGs would probably be your best bet.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

The old BFG MTs on me dodge had about 65000 miles with some tread left when I took them off. My dad has 255s of the new style on his dually and they have about 50% left with 40K on them. My brother has about 30K on the 35" new style on his F250 and still about 70%.

ill be your pickup man
    I got about 40k on my old style MTs on teh Bronco and sold them with about 50% left. I plan on some 285s for the f150 in aabout 10k miles. Good tires
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

AgDieseler
    I'm looking hard at a set of 37" BFG MTs. I've always like the tread pattern, and almost everybody gets a good ride out of them. If they're made of the same stuff my ATs are, then they'll ge good for at least 40,000.

I like New balance, they come in widths. Ask Fred, he is on his 13th pair of the same identical shoe, I think he keeps a backup pair just in case.

For you, I say Mud terrains are the only way to go, but I do think the Nitto GRAPPLER! is a pimp looking tire. However, the sound business decision that appeals to your inner joo screams mud terrain. Good wear vs. performance vs. the all important price... Hell if Kopecki endorses it, you know it's kosher. ( I kill myself) The Scout has Mud terrains and I have an undisclosed amount of miles on them, but it's a bunch of highway miles between here and Dallas, that is for sure. They still have a bunch of tread on them, and I like them when compared next to a couple of jeeps with mt/r's out at Gilmer.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

AgDieseler
    There's nothing cheap about a 37 on a 17, but that's okay. I'm making the money to pay for it.

Shaggy
    bfg km is your best bet