Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Lookinf for a sedaline torch

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    an itemized bill wouldn't say 160 - controller, 90 - installation....or maybe it will but if you don't want to pay it, then it can be removed and you can look for someone else to do it

or maybe he is getting paid by a third party...in which case they probably paid for a complete system....the way my dad does it is his bill says $250/zone and everything is included for that price
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Quote Originally Posted by jwingfield2k
    I charged the customer 250 for the controller, (the guys at john deere landscaping gave me 60 bux off so I got it for 160 ttl). SO theres 90 I made and didnt do anything. And then a 100 installation charge and zone config.
    I could be wrong, but this looks to me like ****ing a stranger in the @ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

do be jealous cause your not smart enough to get into irrigation ...its all like that...when i said my step-mom makes 800 profit in a day...i mean on a bad day...thats with givin the head messcan an extra hundred or hundred fifty...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

not jealous, I just think there's a right way and a wrong way to do things

wait a second...they got a messkin making a hundred fitty in a day?
    I'm gonna have to talk to brandon...
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

he makes more then 150...then guys fresh out of the river make 75 and they dont know jack except how to operate a few different shovels...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

Violentv8toy
    i sold books last summer and one day i made 1200 before 8pm. Who gives a fawk.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenAg03
    he makes more then 150...then guys fresh out of the river make 75 and they dont know jack except how to operate a few different shovels...
    i've been meaning to ask...where do you put the gas in those things?

jwingfield2k
    Eric, contractors get discounts. At the nursery down the street where I buy all my plant material, I get atleast 40% off what the normal consumer would pay. Its called buying wholesale. Theres no way for a contractor to make money unless he buys the parts for cheaper than the consumer, puts a little markup on then, and then charges for labor.

I try to stay away from installing systems, you can definately lose moeny on those, (weather, lazy labor, mechanical stuff).
    Also, its dumb to itemize everything in a bill. You bid stuff by the job. You tell the customer you will get one objective done and heres the price.

Example: Say a mechanic quotes someone $500 for a repair job, and his costs are $150 parts. All the sudden he finds a new place he can get parts, or finds some on sale. Is he going to lower the price of his bill to the customer.

On all mulch jobs I tell the customer, "Ok I'll mulch all these beds for $400.00"
    Whatever it takes I get em mulched and get my check. ALot of the times theres left over mulch, its already paid for, and I take the extra supplies back home and stack it all on pallets in my backyard. Now next time I have a mulch job, I use material thats already been paid for, and still charge the customer for the mulch (can't give it to them for free.)

Never bid stuff by materials, always bid it by the job. Now I'm finally good enough to not bid incorrectly and lose my shirt on a bunch of things. But 90% of the time I come out perfectly even or with a little extra.

I've done somewhere around $3,000.00 in mulch jobs since spring, alot of it has been extra thats left over from another job. A 2.2 cubic foot of mulch costs me $2.20 and I charge the customer $8.00 for the mulch and installation. Figure out the profit on being able to accurately estimate that much mulch and risk your butt on big jobs and come out on top. There is a high price to pay for risky work. Just gotta be good at it.

Sorry that I've figured out the way business works. And I can tell you this. The last time I worked for someone besides myself was when I was 16 years old. Never again will I have someone tell me what time to be at work and when I can home, and how much I make. I value my mind and my ability much more than someone that wants to meet a bottom-line. Congrats to you Steven for knowing the ropes.
    Last edited by jwingfield2k; 06-19-2005 at 07:07 PM.

savvyaggie
    Eric you need to catch up!!!! I charge alot higher profit percentage than they do (but in a different line of business). That's the only way you'll ever have any bling-bling!!

If they are willing to pay you the amount that you are asking, then what is wrong with it? you are getting what you want and they are getting what they want..

Eric---- are you back in town????
    Last edited by savvyaggie; 06-20-2005 at 11:03 AM.

More generic interpretations of the business world please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    More generic interpretations of the business world please.

supply and demand, guns and butter, equal opportunity employer, sales quota, HR department, jerry is gay, point of diminishing returns

savvyaggie
    Yeah!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03
    supply and demand, guns and butter, equal opportunity employer, sales quota, HR department, jerry is gay, point of diminishing returns
    TINSTAFL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

jwingfield2k
    Also Eric, you have to take into account the countless hours I have spent setting up my business, investing in myself, and if not that, atleast running to the supply houses to get parts and get money for atleast that. It's not rocket science.

if you charged the customer for the job, then congratulations, you increased your profit margin. You said that you paid $160 for the controller and charged the customer $250.
    That is my only issue. If you "charged them" by including that cost in your all-inclusive, out-the-door pricing, then that's fine.
    Also, I'm glad that you know how the world works at the ripe old age of what, 20?
    now figure out how to build a truck and take your home improvement bs to homeimprovementsforgayfirsttimehomeowners.com forum.

ps yeah jordan I'm back (you honked at me the other day)! ?
    Last edited by uglyota; 06-20-2005 at 02:47 PM.