Thread: think it'll hold?

aggielr

think it'll hold?

do u think these welds will hold, or should i put some filler metal in and weld it also?

aggielr

Krawler68
    It will prolly hold, but damn son it looks like you were jack-a-lacking around over your carrier... who did that?

aggielr
    well that was just a test run, i didn't clean all the old fluid off, just let it drip for 2 days, so it didn't help, i didn't take my time either, just welded it all up together, when i do the 1 i'm goin to install, i'll weld some and then let it cool and weld some more

i wouldn't weld to the carrier, just weld the gears together. maybe even use an old cross pin when you do it so you don't fawk it up.

aggielr
    well i've read some on the por board, and it was split 50/50 on to the carrier or not, and i tried it on that one, if i just weld the gears, i'm goin to get some filler metal, and i planed on takin the centerpin out also, but just out of curiosity, why wouldn't i weld them to the case?

its not so much that the weld will break,but when cast cools, it cracks.

trust me, i'm not just repeating this off POR. I tried to weld up some manifolds for our pool heater that cracked over christmas. I was using a propane torch to preheat it, which pobably wasn't hot enough, but unless you are really damn good, you'll have a hairline fracture somewhere on there that will spread.

you probably won't have any problems with it if you weld both the gears together and the gears to the carrier, but if you just welded the gears to the carrier it would probably do an impression of one of Steven's 8.8 carriers the first time you put it in low range.

You won't gain any strength doing it, so don't mess with it.

aggielr
    i'll trust ya on that one, but i've also seen on another web page, someone said to not heat cast when welding, its the heating and cooling effect that cracks it, they said weld small pieces at a time, and let it cool completely, i'm goin to weld just the spider gears anyhow though, probably not to the case

stinger7401
    another thought on why not to weld to the carrier......if for some reason you do ever break the welds or center pin and the only welds are on the gears, then you still have a good carrier and only have to replace the spider gears.

stuff

I've heard people say to put cast **** in the oven and cool it slowly after you weld it.